Saw modifications

thetoolnut

I currently own and operate a Stihl MS241 and a Husky 372XP and I'll be purchasing a Husky 550XP, a 562XP and a Stihl 660 before the end of the Year. I'm thinking of having some of these saws modified, piston porting and muffler mods. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a saw modified? Also who are the people to contact about getting this kind of work done and what are the costs involved? I live in Ireland, thanks.:thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The modifications can shorten the life of a saw marginally, well porting, compression increase can, muffler mods extend the life as the engine runs cooler, there are about 5 of us on here who actively port saws, wes (wyk) being closest, otherwise your options are spud or petermate, you're best trying spud.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I was just wondering about porting and modding saws it seems to be all the rage ? But I have to ask the question regarding noise increase and meeting puwer regs ? the saws are made to meet noise and emission regs and the manufactures spend thousands developing saws to meet these regs! we mess about with them trying to squeeze more power and so on ? iv ported saws myself and yes there is a difference but sometimes it is like the placebo effect ? from a contractors point of view is it good practice ? Iv been working in the game for 35 years as a cutter in the uk and over the pond and even in Weston Aus and I can honestly say iv never found any advantage to porting saws for commercial work Only possibly for a bit off fun I'm shore others will disagree but it's a good subject to debate

The advantages of porting are increased cut speed and faster pickup .....plus the saw can be a joy to use and do the same work of a larger saw so less body fatigue.

On the down side, you have the noise, petrol consumption and possible deterioation of saws life but not seen this to date!

On the H&S side, I port saws for owner operators and would not expect any of the saws I have modded to be handed to paid employees for their use to do their job - that wouldn't be sensible!

How much would it cost to have a saw modified? Would it be a good idea to modify a milling saw? I'll be using the 660 primarily as a milling saw and breaking it out the odd time for big felling and cross cutting jobs. I've seen dual port mufflers for 660's on ebay, I'd be well able to fit that myself so I'd just need someone to do the piston and timing work. Thanks for all the replies.:biggrin:

I currently own and operate a Stihl MS241 and a Husky 372XP and I'll be purchasing a Husky 550XP, a 562XP and a Stihl 660 before the end of the Year. I'm thinking of having some of these saws modified, piston porting and muffler mods. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a saw modified? Also who are the people to contact about getting this kind of work done and what are the costs involved? I live in Ireland, thanks.:thumbup:

I'm down in Tipp at the moment. If you are in NI, it costs nearly the same to ship there to here as it would be to spud. So there's that to think about.

As for the saws you mention:

The 241 responds well to simple timing and muff mods. I very rarely modify the timing on a customer's saw, though. So keep that in mind. I only know one person whom has ported the 241 to date, and he lives in Tennessee and is extremely talented.

The 372 is fairly easy to mod, and responds extremely well to porting and muff mods. The same can be said for the 660. A simple dual port muffler will wake it up, as well.

A muffler mod alone on a 550 and a 562 really wakes those saws up.

BTW, I would like to know where ya got a 562xp in Ireland, if you don't mind my asking. Feel free to PM me if you've any questions.

Good man, I'm from Cork. I won't be buying these saws till the end of the Year, probably around the middle of November. I have my eye on a 562 on ebay in America for 715 Euro inc shipping and customs. It has the large bar mount and I'm planning to run 3/8'' full skip chain on it with a 20'' bar. The 550xp and the 562 will fill the gap between the 241 and the 372. The 660 with a 30'' bar will be my milling saw and in time I'll be buying an 880. I'll contact you in a few weeks If it suits you because I'd be interested in having some work done on the 241 and the 372. Thanks a lot.:thumbup: