what tyres for 4x4 pick up?

thecaptain

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done 25k on my bfg muddies, I'd say they are worn around a 3rd, possibly more, on that basis I think I will get 60-70k out of them (well the rears anyway fronts are wearing quicker) not sure if this is good or bad or how they compare wear wise to other makes, I do find them perfectly acceptable on the road and exellant off road too

Done 25k on my bfg muddies, I'd say they are worn around a 3rd, possibly more, on that basis I think I will get 60-70k out of them (well the rears anyway fronts are wearing quicker) not sure if this is good or bad or how they compare wear wise to other makes, I do find them perfectly acceptable on the road and exellant off road too

Try switching the fronts with the rears to even them out a bit

Don't rule out the cooper discoverer stt the only tyre with reinforced side walls great on and off road also last well.

I remember somebody on here stating Coopers were known in the trade as the 50p tyre as they deformed so much!

From personal experience it pays to spend a bit extra and buy quality. I had BFG Mud Terrains on a 90 and did 35,000 with minimal wear before I sold it; a Freelander followed which had it's original Michelins on when I sold it with 52,000 miles on the clock; and my present Ranger has Michelins on, 2 of which have done 72,500 miles.

That time again for new tyres, front two are dangerously bald, rear aint too bad, but want a full new set.

Im currently running General Grabber AT TYRES SIZE 215/65 R16

question is im after cheap as possible, suitable for on and off road, I can get the same tyres im on now for £101 fitted each, is there anything else out there or any thing else you guys can suggest?

Thanks

Tom

Hi TOM just get a set of BFG MUDS mate thanks Jon

I remember somebody on here stating Coopers were known in the trade as the 50p tyre as they deformed so much!

From personal experience it pays to spend a bit extra and buy quality. I had BFG Mud Terrains on a 90 and did 35,000 with minimal wear before I sold it; a Freelander followed which had it's original Michelins on when I sold it with 52,000 miles on the clock; and my present Ranger has Michelins on, 2 of which have done 72,500 miles.

Never heard anything so ridiculous spoke to several people at the land rover international show and people that run them favour them over the bf Goodrich my 130 has done 50,000 miles on them and still have 20% tread left no signs of perishing either.

Never heard anything so ridiculous spoke to several people at the land rover international show and people that run them favour them over the bf Goodrich my 130 has done 50,000 miles on them and still have 20% tread left no signs of perishing either.

I've been recommended cooper stt aswell fairly priced, strong and grippy last 25-30k hoping to get 25-30 out of my general grabber at2 ATM then swap

If you can afford them Goodyear wrangler mt/r s are by far the best out there the cooper stt is a coppy of the same tyre and fantastic value at around £100 quid a corner

The Bfg mud t's are bloody good but expensive

I'd opt for the cooper very good polymer compound that lasts and side grip like the goodyears but about half the price

It was me Avon Tyres were famous a few years ago for going out of shape cooper are owned by Avon. I have not heard so much about the problem recently so they may of sorted it.

I think Michelin probably still have the best quality although dont always get it right. BFG are owned by Michelin.

I put a pair of heavy tyres (BFG AT) on my d22 years ago and it ruined the handling. Something to look at is the weight of these high load tough tyres. Most of these pickups are fairly light and not much heavier than a Mondeo the wheel and tyre is un sprung weight. The Bridgestones that came with the vehicle were the best for on road use. If you dont need off road grip and heavy side walls go for something milder.

I've got Toyo Open Country AT on my Hilux. I find them very good, the majority of my driving is on tarmac as I'm sure most of our's is. They grip well in both dry and wet conditions...infact really well. On the 20% of time that I'm off road they seem to do well also, bit slippery in heavy amounts of mud but I guess that's to be expected. Used to have the General Grabber at2, and I think these Toyos are better.