How do you secure your stuff

Triassic

Reading the 'scroats on the prowl' thread got me thinking about security and wondered what you do to secure your kit at night or when you are away from the yard. Hitch locks, wheel clamps, steel kit boxes, chains and locks, camaras, big dog or geese?

Reason is ask is I'm thinking of beefing mine up after a recent attempt to jemmy the workshop door.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the dismay of the mrs I lock all my saws in my house along with hedge cutters and climbing kit... I leave combi tool gear in the car. The chipper I lock too the floor in my garage which is also locked and the trailer I have a DVLA wheel clamp and a tow hitch lock on it. Also the whole place is under CCTV and a 10 foot gate! You could still nick it but you would have too try bloody hard!

Mate had big bad dog

Came in one morning and broken glass with lot of blood around it ...obviously failed break in ... Dog 1, thieves 0

He cleaned up mess, went straight out and repaced glass

Later in morning police arrived as there had been complaint he had a dangerous dog!

No signs of break in so police left

Dog 2 thieves 0

Dog was lovely, unless you tried to break in....

It's been said by someone else in a different thread, but do you want the whole Internet knowing your security arrangements?

Im guessing there must be loads of members that are watchers, not every member is as honest as they should be and some of these members are into trees and relocation of kit business it might give them a heads up.

You could have a secret top spec security bunker to store your kit, if 'they' want your stuff they'll get it or make a mess trying

Reading the 'scroats on the prowl' thread got me thinking about security and wondered what you do to secure your kit at night or when you are away from the yard. Hitch locks, wheel clamps, steel kit boxes, chains and locks, camaras, big dog or geese?

Reason is ask is I'm thinking of beefing mine up after a recent attempt to jemmy the workshop door.

In my opinion, if someone wants your stuff badly enough they'll get it. The idea with most security is to make it difficult and time consuming so the likelihood of being apprehended is increased.

A collection of security devices to get past or through should suffice. cheap is ok. Relying on one or 2 formidable locks won't usually do it. They'll come through the wall.

Make sure the security provision is what your insurers want and that you have a contingency plan for when the inevitable occurs so you can carry on working and get the place reasonably secure quick smart.

....do you want the whole Internet knowing your security arrangements?
I was asking in general, clearly no one is going to tell me specifics. Maybe all that is required is insurance and the security kit required by the insurance policy, 5 lever locks, alarm etc?

Most half decent tree surgeons can tell the difference between a field maple, an oak and a sycamore.

Most half decent crooks can tell the difference between low cost alarms and the real deal, boron chains and B&Q, dummy cameras and internet linked cctv. It takes them little more than a minute to case a site.

Make it difficult for them to take a good look and make sure if they do get a look, it looks awkward to get in, get the gear and get out again.

I said earlier cheap is ok, I should caveat that with if you go cheap you'll need more layers.