pick up for 10k, but what

carpenter1

I am in the same position as you. Bought a d4 before christmas with 60k on the clock 3 years old just out of warranty. Paid 19k+ vat since then its consumed over 3k in repairs/tyres etc in 10,000 miles.

If you dont tow much I would go for bottom of the range double cab hilux for £16k + vat. It has most of the features of the top of the range £28k one but simpler and more reliable and probably better on fuel. Same, body, axles, springs.

2.5 litre engine which is reviewed as nearly as good as the 3.0. Manual box which will be more reliable. Black plastic bumpers and mirrors cheaper when you beat them off. Looks like you are going to work rather than cutting hair.

If you have 10k cash to spend finance the rest it will be cheaper in the long run and you know the vehicle has been treated well from day one. If you need to finance the lot go for a £6000 hilux mk5

I am weary of the costs of others driving, once you bought it costing k's with no warranty

10k cash, so finance the rest?

I like the look of the isuzu dmax,

May be a exdemo good idea? With 4 years warranty left

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am weary of the costs of others driving, once you bought it costing k's with no warranty

10k cash, so finance the rest?

I like the look of the isuzu dmax,

May be a exdemo good idea? With 4 years warranty left

I never actually drove the new dmax but on paper it looks an ideal truck. The ones made 2103 onwards tow 3500kg as long as you dont have the boot full.

They have 3 years isuzu warranty then its out sourced on major components.

I read alot of complaints on line of the latest ones dropping from 40mpg to 20 and the engines filling with fuel and blowing up. A faulty dpf regeneration problem but they may have it sorted now.

I prefer the look of the hilux and the quality of the interior. The top of the range hilux was nice to drive but extreme engine noise when pushed.

When ever I see a demo with £1500 of the new price I just think go new and get a brand fire new one. Demo normally means courtesy car/abused hire car driven by people who have the hump theirs is broken again.

I had a rest drive in a d max last week, I wasn't impressed one bit.. Sloppy handling, extremely low geared (okay if your towing continually) not brisk for 163ps!

I've a ranger supercab thunder currently which I'm just about to sell... ;)

I'm heading to L200 Long Bed with a family being 'planned' currently :)

Also test drove a navara, nice truck, excellent rear seat which buggered off with the pull of a lever so lots of space for saws and tools in the back. (No other double cabs rear seats move upwards I think)

New ranger supercab looks good, but very expensive 17k +vat!!

l200 lb warrior on eBay for 11750plus vat with 39k miles which is reasonably good value with a canopy, load liner and tow bar fitted..

Also a white warrior long bed with 16k for 12750 plus vat

Also thinking of selling my Ranger Thunder Supercab. But only if the new Isuzu Dmax extended cab is up to it. Going to test drive one next week, but FlyingScotsman has me worried.

I viewed it as the best of the bunch in terms of towing, load, engine size and value for money.

As above, I reckon the extended cab/Supercab layout is the best option for the job. All the climbing kit goes behind the driver, all the saws, winches and rakes etc go in the back under a Mountain Top lid.

The double cabs 1.5m bed is just weeny for rakes, poles, folding signs etc.