Apprentice troubles

Andymacp

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im sure a lot of you are aware of what i went through with my last apprentice, i spent time money and effort on training him up and he left which left a real bitter taste in my mouth but a few months on i have found another lad Matty. He is very keen and is picking things up well, apprentices are just another big learning curve for us employers...

I learnt alot since my first apprentice, i am now taking things a lot slower and getting matty to climb only when we have time on our hands.

There are two sides to these situations :

Employer - Gives a massive opportunity to a young lad or lass to gain experience on the job also coming awY with a small wage, if they were at college theyd not be getting any money...!!! We expect a little loyalty that is all.

Apprentice - Can do as they please obviously, leave when they like ie after getting tickets and trained up, i fully understand everyone is free to kdo as they please but there is a trend of apprentices using apprentiships as stepping stones to gain tickets and experience.

I think if matty goes the same way as the last it will leave me not wanting to offer apprentiships anymore which is an awful shame in this day n age.

I would have jumped at an apprentiship when i started out but young men and women lack life experience therefore sometimes dont see a good thing when its hanging infront of them for the taking.

Matty however...... So far so good. Keep up the good work pal.

Hes at the yard early every morning, he is now nearly as good a sharpener as me and this is one of my main ocd's. He is getting his tree austria 3.1 next week, hes got some dmm's, wire core, soft core and ive given him a pair of spikes. He takes pride in his work and loves the uniform, always well presented and customer care is great.

Sorry for prattling on but ive kinda missed it on here :-)

So what do people pay or would expect to be paid as apprentice.

Bearing in mind that it includes all PPE, chainsaws, climbing gear, courses 30/31/32/38/39 chipper.

Over a 3 year period.

I think for that one it depends on the scenario... for example if you are putting them through college etc then you can pay a smaller wage as you are funding their education and all the PPE etc, and more often than not they are living at home and have little living costs.

In my case I have been to Uni and am now having to retrain (own fault), I don't live at home and have a car to run etc and bills so I'd be happy with similar to what I am earning with Asda at the moment as I can just about live off that, but I also don't have much interest in going to college so theres a huge cost taken out of that. However I am at that age where I understand that I am going to have to do some reading myself and learn off my own back but I kean to make a career in this so I am prepared to read off my own back. :thumbup:

Also I have my own PPE already and will sort my own harnesses etc out when I need them, although I wouldn't say no to a second pair of trousers if I was going it 5 days a week

Edited by samthornton1990