Waste carriers licence

Will C

From http://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

Cost

Registration is free if you’re just transporting your own organisation’s waste.

You’ll usually need to pay a fee of £154 if you’re dealing with other people’s waste.

if its green waste eg chip anything green then you can transport other peoples waste for free. as i say i checked with EA as getting asked to move a lot more and they said lower teir was the one i required.

so grass clippings brash,chip. its fine. higher teir is for other things household waste, builders waste,. scrap if taking it for other people is higher teir. but if its at your yard when yo take it to scrappy then its your own so no need for one

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, as mentioned before, as far as the EA are concerned your 'arisings' are GREEN WASTE and it has 3 separate entries in the Euro. Waste Catalogue...intriguing stuff. (the previously mentioned 'virgin timber' exemption is not applicable were there is any greenery, including green shoots and buds etc., in the load...EA National Policy Team Advice.)

Hence, if you are transporting it, you need to register as at least a LOWER TIER operator = £0.00, OR, if you anticipate having to move the occasional fence panel, or arguably stump grinding arisings, you should register as an UPPER TIER operator = £154 for 3 years.

Personally I would go for the latter for £51.33 per year and have it covered AND simply get a 'nod and a wink' at the next roadside 'pull' where the EA are present. :thumbup1:

Obviously, 'compliance' is my middle name so I am bound to say this...but I do believe my interpretation here to be correct and this is endorsed by the most recent EA guidance below (see p.4).

Cheers..

Paul

PS Don't forget about the T6 and S2 exemptions at the same time if you want to be 'whiter than white' if you're i) treating (processing/chipping) your waste, and ii) storing it on a site for which you are responsible...all good stuff eh?!

Who_should_register.pdf

If you renew in time its only £100 for the next 3 years. I probably dont need one but its just easier to have one. I remove waste oil and filters I have created in the course of my work = dont need one. I may move logs about = dont need one. I take scrap metal up the scrap yard = probably need one. If I have something loaded I did not think about = covered.

You have to have a waste carriers licence because before you take the arisings to your yard it is classes as waste you do not need to give a ticket to your client under the law at present but this might change. what you don't need is a waste transfer licence because the chip/wood is a saleable commodity (the scratchings you use to heat your yard;) ) it does cost about £150 for three years but if you get stopped with out a licence it is a lot more you must get one ASAP

• 4 weeks later...

you are still all looking at waste regulations. woodchip is not waste nor are logs.

if your arisings are primarily leaf matter, ie you are a professional hedge cutter, not a tree surgeon then it is classed as green waste........

the usual bamboozling of the masses into paying for licenses etc they dont need! spend away.