ArthurBottlesworth

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to run central heating off the woodburner

Plumber says we need about 25 kw

Recommendations please

If you have room in the fireplace, a rayburn will do hot water and 9 rads- plus give u an oven for slow cooking. I wish i had put one in our mini inhlenook instead of the morso and boiler we have- then could do slow roasts etc as well, with same heating/hot water as we have now. 30 cube a year here, and thats with solar thermal to top it up.

A cooking range with small water jacket works very well. The range is on most of the day, so provides a constant 3-5kW into the room and throughout the ground floor. The 2.5-3kW to water is enough for a cylinder or couple or radiators.

Keep it running all winter and you'll be cosy and warm without the hassle of feeding 25kW worth of wood into a stove, that's about 7kg of wood per hour!!!

We sell lots of the ESSE ranges, a WD domestic hot water model is great. Or for less money there are other European options.

Just taken out my rayburn royal....

Never really got the room warm and cost fortune in coal

The old one in my previous house was brilliant, could fill right up on friday night, come back sunday and house was warm and it was still in ......just ....

Put brand new one in when we did house up along with fancy chimney stack that cost fortune ...very disappointing ......replaced with lpg range cooker two years ago, but now need to get heating sorted ...... And I have a lot of free wood

Just taken out my rayburn royal....

Never really got the room warm and cost fortune in coal

Cooking ranges are very sensitive to flue draw so need to be installed properly. You may have some adverse chimney conditions there. Too much draw and the heat is pulled away before it gets into the chassis, too little and it never reaches a good combustion temperature. I'm guessing too much draw if you get through lots of fuel. Would be a good idea to have the draw tested after you install the next appliance.

The Solid fuel Rayburns are based on 50 year old technology and never really been updated.

A friend of mine has a wood burning stove with back boiler feeding a thermal store which feeds hot water + downstairs under floor heating with a control valve for each room. He also has hot water solar panels for the summer months. It was a new build so very energy efficient house and uses approx 8 cubic metres of hardwood per year (less this past year) for a family of 4. The under floor heating makes it very controllable since he can decide which rooms are heated to what temperature and when (thermostat in each room I believe feeding back to central controller). The under floor heating adds quite a lot of thermal mass. From what I remember, with the high level of insulation upstairs is warm enough from just the hot air rising from the downstairs underfloor heating. He has been very happy with the overall result.

A friend of mine has a wood burning stove with back boiler feeding a thermal store which feeds hot water + downstairs under floor heating with a control valve for each room. He also has hot water solar panels for the summer months. It was a new build so very energy efficient house and uses approx 8 cubic metres of hardwood per year (less this past year) for a family of 4. The under floor heating makes it very controllable since he can decide which rooms are heated to what temperature and when (thermostat in each room I believe feeding back to central controller). The under floor heating adds quite a lot of thermal mass. From what I remember, with the high level of insulation upstairs is warm enough from just the hot air rising from the downstairs underfloor heating. He has been very happy with the overall result.

I'd love a system like that, but may be selling up in a few years time so cannot justify cost

However if I do new build then will be looking for this sort of system.....

Sounds like the idea system there!