Daft stuff you did as kids

ArthurBottlesworth

Lollipop stick in the wheels of your bike :biggrin: Flying my kite and attaching the line to my fishing rod so I could use the line to get the kite higher . Still do the that one when Im at the beach . Tying string to a door knocker , hide then pull string . Water ballons filled with red food coluring dye and water . Making catapults out of the old metal bed frames and the pouch out of dads leather belt :thumbup: 70s / 80s

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once "borrowed" my dads Mamod steam engine, which I had been told in no uncertain terms I wasnt to touch and took it to my mates house where we lit it up in the garage with the door open, this was one of the old ones with a meths burner in the firebox, we decided to see just how fast we could get it to go, finding a syringe we kept injecting meths into the firebox until the flywheel was really humming at which point the grub screw let go of the shaft and the flywheel went off like a bullet down my mates steep drive and into the verge the other side of the road, which led to a very tense hour looking for it, got it all back together and returned home with my dad none the wiser :001_cool: but a few weeks later I was allowed to fire it up and while showing my grandpa what an impressive turn of speed it could achieve on the kitchen table with the syringe method I did'nt realise the end of the syringe was alight when I put it back in the small metal jug with the meths in it, end result was I went to move the jug which was now very hot so I jumped and dropped it sending burning meths all over the kitchen table and floor, got a right bawling out for that one and banned from using the mammod again :blushing::laugh1:

We did the dam thing. Mate told his dad, it was only 1ft tall. His dad was dafter, he went and smashed it the next day so the following evening we we to see how it was going. Dead sticklebacks on the stones. Not impressed.

We also spent hours throwing penknives between each others feet on grass. Used to sharpen green garden canes with a pencil sharpener, fit a nut on the tip with racing pigeon rubber rings at fire them at each other with homemade bows. We dug booby traps. I used to hang from a pulley upside down and zip line out. Of our home made treehouse.

When you think what our normal activities were and how you are not allowed to do them anymore, no wonder the newer generations can't do much.

I wouldn't stop kids doing what we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk