day rate

vduben

This poor bloke's alive cuz of a fellow groundie, not the regs, which allow him to work solo, and die alone.

Council fined after worker loses arm in wood chipper

Jomoco

You couldn't be more wrong.

First off this wasn't a whole tree chipper or he would be dead, you were talking wtc weren't you??????

Second, the reason he is alive is probably more to do with it not being a large machine and less to do with the reaction speed of his mates. He simply wouldn't fit so once the machine had got as far as his shoulder (a matter of seconds) his mates had all the time in the world to shut the machine down.

Third the reason he became injured is

It also failed to follow published guidance on the control measures required when using wood chippers.

That sounds suspiciously like the chipper wasn't fitted with the current HSE specification in feed protection device

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais38.pdf

Here is a bit of reading on how the HSE views lone working

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg73.pdf

So once again where did you get this impression that we let (particularly foreigners) engage in dangerous lone working on these many whole tree chippers that we just don't have??????

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the exact legislation behind Whole Tree Chippers and solo operation, but IME the guy loading is probably working solo.

But then again he would probably be in a 360 or operating the chipper with a similar means of loading.

It's quite obvious my hopes of the UK tree industry being less corrupt than the USA are just another pipe dream of mine.

Sad really.

Blame the groundie who's not about to defend himself against industry sanctioned cruel and unusually barbaric death on the job.

Jomoco

It's quite obvious my hopes of the UK tree industry being less corrupt than the USA are just another pipe dream of mine.

Sad really.

Blame the groundie who's not about to defend himself against industry sanctioned cruel and unusually barbaric death on the job.

Jomoco

Its pretty pointless continuing this, you are a clown of the first order.

Jomoco, I think there is a misunderstanding here.

The onus would be put on the manufacturer & owner of said whole tree chipper to have adequate stop bar protection fitted as Quip gave a link for. As I understand it, there are no whole tree chippers in this country fitted with such.

Therefore, as our HSE like to stipulate a trained operator should refuse to operate such a machine.

I wish it was just a misunderstanding mate, but it's not, it's industry wide sanctioned death alone on the job when feeding a WTC.

I have it from the safety horse's own mouth.

Peter Gerstenberger. Quote.

And yes, we consider solo operation of a hand-fed chipper to be acceptable practice, dependent on some very important conditions.

End quote

Who replaced Bob Felix, to this industry's detriment IMO.

Jomoco