45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sharpen your own blades?

• Yes!
    • No!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because they are greenmech round ones, I'd like to know if anyone has made a jig to spin them while grinding as the book states though?

look at the way you sharpen green teeth i wonder if you could mount them on an arbor an spin whilst grinding them

• 2 weeks later...
On the heizohack I normaly angle grind them in situ , times I sharpen on an old belt sander with a home made jig

The flat disc type machines are far better than a bench grinder and they normally come with a guide

Same as that Big Daddy .. Find Angle Grinder works a treat with a small grained attatchment .. Plugged into the 230v .. Speedy!!!! :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...

Do my own,biggest worry is keeping them cool, and checking weight so they balance well, finish them off on india oil stone with light oil seriously sharp,

Have old blades for nasty stuff…. and charge well for them….

I want to try this, what size wheel do you want to get the right hollow grind on TW150 blades?

150mm?

Thanks

Since i posted this Ive also got the bug for trying it myself, My bench grinder has a 6" wheel which from my rough measurements didnt give the correct curve to the edge, I would think 8-9" would do the trick.

from the jist of the above replies, most seem to not bother with the curve and sharpen the surface flat? I have a good quality stone so can finish by hand.

Still interested in any pics people may have of there jigs usings a simple bench grinder

There's a vital difference between knives that are sharpened professionally under a coolant bath, and those that are not. Mainly that professionally sharpened knives hold their edge much longer because they retain the steels original temper.

Jomoco