Tape measure

bobh

Bacho makes a sturdy stainless steel one with printing on both sides. I believe they exist in 5 and 8 meter variants, with imperial, imperial+metric and metric marking. Sold at £10-20.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-MTS825E-Auto-Reversible-Magnetic/dp/B001TN62MC]Bahco MTS825E Auto Tape 8m/26ft Reversible Magnetic Tip: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

bacho.JPG.b73330efb2abe5cf64a59f619224a689.JPG

Edited by morten

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bacho makes a sturdy stainless steel one with printing on both sides. I believe they exist in 5 and 8 meter variants, with imperial, imperial+metric and metric marking. Sold at £10-20.

Bahco MTS825E Auto Tape 8m/26ft Reversible Magnetic Tip: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

That looks a top bit of kit :thumbup:

Don't rate my Stanley that highly. For starters it is not as accurate as my cheapo Screwfix one. It's only a mm out but when you pay that much it should be better than that. The tape wheres like any other. I find myself picking up my Axminster power tools own brand one. Good strong tape, reasonably accurate with a magnetic tip which is a bonus.

That looks a top bit of kit :thumbup:

Don't rate my Stanley that highly. For starters it is not as accurate as my cheapo Screwfix one. It's only a mm out but when you pay that much it should be better than that. The tape wheres like any other. I find myself picking up my Axminster power tools own brand one. Good strong tape, reasonably accurate with a magnetic tip which is a bonus.

Just interested , not arguing , how did you find out or check the Stanly one to discover it was a mm out and over what length was it out ?

I guess it depends how important it is to get the measurement right, personally I like a decent quality one, and they need looking after too, if it's covered in crap, wash it and dry it, even give it a slosh of wd40 now and again, just my opinion of course!!

I think that's where I'm going wrong, they tend to get covered in wet mud etc and if very lucky get a quick wipe on my sleeve or between fingers as they get chucked back in the vehicle with lots of other tools and a dog onto of them 😁

Will have a look at some of the recommendations.

Tried a Stanley, it was better but not overly impressed for the extra money

The fat Max look more sturdy, see they do a fatmax extreme as well.

Liking the look of the stainless bacho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Just interested , not arguing , how did you find out or check the Stanly one to discover it was a mm out and over what length was it out ?

I can only check over a meter but I have a precision engineering steel rule made by Rabone Chesterman. On the Stanley the tip is off by most of a mm but the actual tape does not perfectly line up my steel rule. I showed some Reps at a show but they just scoffed as they thought a mm out was fine :thumbdown:

I can only check over a meter but I have a precision engineering steel rule made by Rabone Chesterman. On the Stanley the tip is off by most of a mm but the actual tape does not perfectly line up my steel rule. I showed some Reps at a show but they just scoffed as they thought a mm out was fine :thumbdown:

Ok . Yes they don't come much better than a Rabone Chersterman I must admit . Have one myself . Legacy of my days in the toolroom . :001_smile:

The black and yellow Stanley tapes screwfix usually have them at 3 for a tenner

Picked up some brightly coloured Stanley 8m tapes for £4.99 at a local builders merchants (RGB) before Xmas, use it all day everyday on site, no problems, not lost the numbers, retracts fine will probably get another 3 months or more out of it