Mature Lombardy poplar - neighbour complaining.

Crunchie66

Question

My mother has a mature Lombardy poplar at the end of her garden, about 35 metres from the house. It is about 60 years old and about 35 m tall.

The land behind her house was built on about 15 years ago. The nearest house is only about 10 m from the tree. We were very surprised they built so close, but remember them carrying out root surveys prior to building.

The people who bought the nearest house are now worried that the tree could fall on their house. It looks healthy at the moment but there are a few small dead branches high up, and in the recent gales lots of small bits fell off. Mostly twigs but some larger bits.

The neighbours want the tree removed. Whilst we appreciate their concerns only a South Easterly gale would push it towards them, which is unlikely. We feel it more likely that the tree will continue to drop branches as it ages, but that the whole tree is unlikely to fall.

Taking it down would be presumably very expensive. Access is limited and most of the work would have to be carried out from my mother's garden.

If the tree is felled are there potential risks to the neighbours house due to root shrinkage ? Is it possible to reduce the tree size without ruining it ? Also,who should pay ? It is on the boundary, so the whole trunk is on her land with some branches reaching over the boundary.

We love the tree, and it only causes us a minor nuisance with leaves and twigs.

The neighbour is consulting Citizen's Advice, and my mother has a tree surgeon coming to look at it. We would appreciate any advice as we do not want to enter into a dispute with the neighbour. Perhaps it should have been removed when much smaller, but the fields behind were supposed to be green belt, so when they were built on we did not feel if was our problem.

Mum's insurance company have told her not to worry. They have no problem with it being there.

Reducing over mature Lombardy Poplar is in my opinion pointless and will only lead to more regular costly maintenance and possibly reduced stability decay issues.

By all means have it looked at by a professional, a Lomabrdy at 35m is pretty much full grown and very mature so my recommendations if it's in good health showing good vitality is to leave it alone or remove and replant. I would not reccomended reducing.

Your mums neighbour bought the house with the tree there, I do not see how they have a right to force you to remove it unless it is unsafe. Although Lombardy poplar is known to shed limbs as you have observed.

not very long lived trees, (less than 60yrs), i have one in front of my house, reluctantly taking it down next week. had one come down in the storms near us, damage to nearby house and lots of aggro. get it checked, you may find it's past it's sell-by date. reduction is not recommended.

I'm removing two this week, they were a group of three, but the middle one failed in the high winds last month.

The one that failed had no fruiting bodies or other external signs of decay other than the tell tail increase buttress flair and fluting thats a give away of internal rot.

The other two are showing the same flaring and the council are happy to take this as sufficient evidence for a 5 day notice.

If I were you I'd get expert advice and if removal is decided upon get some contribution from the neighbour, it seems they feel they will benefit from its removal so should be happy to chip in.

Mum's insurance company commented that if it falls down, they will pay, so told her not to worry.

If she has it removed now it will be very expensive. If it falls in her garden it would not cause any significant damage. It seems unfair she should pay to remove a tree she loves. I agree the neighbour should contribute to the costs if it must be removed, but they have not offered so far.

The worry is that it is easy for someone to declare it dangerous just because it could theoretically fall. There are so few trees left in the area. Who decides ? Is a private survey definitive ? Mum's gardener has recommended a tree surgeon he knows well.

Is there any danger to the neighbours house from root shrinkage if it is felled ?

It looks healthy and has no fungus, but the buttresses are huge.

Thanks for all the advice.

You need to take due regard of your (mothers) general duty of care to others

Having the tree looked at by a contractor isn't the best idea, many contractors will look at the tree as a job for the week coming.

An arboricultural consultant would give an unbiased written opinion (for a fee)

Its perfectly normal for mature trees to have small deadwood in them and to shed a branch now and then especially in extreme weather.

Don't feel pressured into having the tree removed if there is no reason to.

As long as it has been regularly inspected for any obvious defects you have nothing to worry about.

The root shrinkage you refer to? what do you mean-

1 if the tree was felled would there be a possibility of heave (clay soil expansion) damaging the neighbouring property?

2 If the tree is left up is there a chance of the roots causing clay soil shrinkage and subsiding the property?

If you love the tree keep, it as there is no point taking down a perfectly healthy tree.

The house builders who built the new development should of addressed this as a possible problem ( if deemed one at the time) but generally it is personal preference.

You are doing the right thing though, get a qualified person to survey the tree and hopefully give it a clean bill of health, as if you tick all the boxes you will satisfy the most persistent neighbours.

Plus should they really of built the new house that close to an established tree in the first place knowing??

If it was my tree I would get it surveyed and cavity read and all being well keep it ;)

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk