M/C for UK air dried logs

County4x4

Haha I did exactly the same when I got mine and my sofa legs where about 10% :001_tt2:

When Ive tested air dried logs they all tend to be around 16%

10% on your sofa legs, mine were 15.

My air dried are usually around 16 even ones that have sat by the stove for a while are around 10.

Any of you guys keep tabs on what moisture content your air dried logs get to?

Just asking as a guy on another forum reckons his are generally between 4% and 14%. Don't honestly think I've ever seen any anywhere near 4% to be honest - and a bit of mooching around on google would suggest that if the relative humidity of the air is above 70% - which it appears to be for the UK, then the lowest you'd expect air dried logs to get to would be about 14%.

Anyone out there who can add their experience?

I am the guy in the other forum, same name !!.

Last Sept my Ash and Syc were going out at between 4% and 7%, I did give you a very detailed account of how I do it, I also admitted that in a normal summer MC in Sept will be nearer 12% but last summer was very dry where I am hence surprisingly low MCs, maybe the meter was not accurate but its certainly nor far out, I have to say I was surprised.

In short that cord stood for 12 months before processing then about 15-18 months after processing.

In my showroom I have some lumps of Ash that I split 40 years ago, they have been kept inside ever since. I came across them when clearing out my late fathers things from a farm shed where I put them. In some areas the MCs do not register on a gauge.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Even my logs that sit on a south facing verandha well under cover never get below 10% (with an accurate meter). Take a bit of the 4% wood and weigh before microwaving a few times. I'd be surprised it you couldn't get the weight to drop by more than 4%.

I agree RNJ, to sound a bit Dr. Spocky "logic" dictates that nature strives to reach equilibrium.

Since we will always have sig %ages of atmospheric moisture in the Uk air, my gut feeling would be owt sub 10%M/C was simply impossible.

Especially over the winter months.

Unless stored in an oven, the Kalahari, or the Chilean altoplano.

m

Nice one corylus :thumbup:

Just looked at the table you mentioned and it fits perfectly with our experience of drying logs.

Wood Equilibrium Moisture Content Calculator from Wood Workers Source.com

Had some elm boards which I had milled and stacked for over 10 yrs....in a totally rain free windy shed....m/c last spring?

Between 18 & 22%. Thought it should be a lot lower until I started looking at local weather records and that calculator!