Dealing With Learning Difficulties In Training...

DriveLink

Hope im not detracting from the thread but if dyslexics have probs with remembering number/letters and lists but are good at remembering pictures then try a book by Derren Brown called tricks of the mind he has a really good section imo on how to remember numbers ,letters and lists by using pictures.

Might help I hope.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During my first year at college doing NCH Arb, i was surprised to find that around 40% of the people on the course, 40 in all, were dyslexic. To my knowledge they all passed the course, and also passed there 4 NPTC tickets.

I didnt notice them getting much extra help, maybe more 1:1 sessions so that things could be explained to them over a longer period of time giving them more chance to take it in.

You might find that if they had been through the 'dyslexia tests' then they may have been eligible for extra time during exams. As far as teaching goes, a trainer will often put the same point across using a variety of techniques.

By way of example, I had a CS30 short course the other day where two of the four students had declared dyslexia. I use a lot of imagery anyway when I explain something, but I don't when it comes to talking about sharpening.

Anyhow, with 50% of my students dyslexic, there was little point in writing up the steps - hence I drew the steps on the whiteboard instead. Those picture steps are the ones on my DriveLink website here.

Basically then, I changed how information was presented based on the intended audience.

I was always told i was stupid in primary school (by the teachers:sad:) not a good school, was'nt until secondary school that i was told i was dyslexic. I know what i want to write, but getting it on to paper is imposable, backward letters, words the wrong way round very annoying also im not good at getting what i want to say across, its like my brain runs to fast. Posting stuff isnt easy.

Like the drivelink blog David, a great resourse for all who want to learn.

Hi Drivelink

I have Mild learning difficulties myself this was picked up at a young age .It that affects me in different ways .some of the ways it affects me is in my understanding of whats being asked of me and being able to retain that information . It can take longer to be able to perform the actions being asked and it can be difficult for me to put accross what I am thinking or trying to explain to the instructor in a short space of time in conversation . It also affects me with reading linked up writing of any kind .

I have just compleated my CS30 /CS31 training I have got to do my assesments later when I am ready and have mastered all the info in the work books . My Insturctor was very very good and did his best to address the problems which I told him about early on in the course . .

The biggist help to me from my trainer was his patiance and aproach as he needed to explain things several times and sometimes in different ways to put what he wanted accross to me, for me to understand .

The workbooks given out to me are excellent as they are very discriptive and have little pictures by the tasks wanted so have found them very valuable tool .

Thanks eastwater

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys n gals

ive lived with knowing im dyslexic for nearly 40 years, i was very lucky to be recognised by my head and deputy head at infant school folling there attendance at a special event run by the 'psycological unit' of st bart hospital london. the enterthere was run by bev hornsby and trevor ford, the hornsby institute is now a significant player in the treatment of dyslexia.

for many years i battled with finding learning tactics that worked for me, they are many, they are varied, and have posh names, but once i gotto grips with them and found a subject i loved it was like a light being terned on.

so my spelling is still pants, but most people get it, i have a great probelm with spell cheaks too, but the message really is two fold, drive link, dont try and box up a solution, as there are many learning problemsout there and many people will know what works for them, listen to your students and your teacher trainers, ie the no caps thing, non dydlexics read word shapes not letters, dyslexics have trouble with both.

the other message for any one reading who does have problems and is imbarresed, dont be, i manged to achive moor letters after my name than make it up, i was the first known dyslexic to pass the prof dip (im sure others whent before me but just were not known about) i qualified as a teacher, and on and on and on, so take a chance have a go and get learning

cheers all

good luck drive linkkeep them learning

as a taster...

VSB kevin robert moore MOSJ;MIfL;F.Arbor.A;Iosh;Cert arb; Tech Arb; Cert Ed. etc etc etc

As some of you may be aware, I'm a trainer at Sparsholt College, and I've noticed an increase lately in the number of students on my courses that have learning difficulties - dyslexia, in particular.

I try to help those students out that either request it, or after talking to them about it, would like some form of assistance. To be honest, this normally means putting information across in a different manner (of course, this can help anyone really).

One of the reason why I make videos / audio programmes available is to help those who would prefer to watch / listen to something rather than read the course notes / assessment schedule.

If you are a trainer, how do you help your students? If you're a student, what would have helped you out on a course?

I strongly believe that by making information more widely available and accessible to all, accidents in industry can be reduced, as well as knowledge increased.

I'd be interested in your thoughts...

David.

Well done mate, there are lots of dyslexics in this game for some reason or another some very good arbo's!!

They say there is no such thing as a bad learner only a bad teacher, well it goes something like that..

Thanks for going that extra step to help your students, I'm sure if they don't now in time they will greatly appreciate it...

Edited by Lee Winger

Hey what a great thread thanks!

I teach CS 30/31 overseas in Bermuda as a Lantra instructor, one of the only international Lantra / NPTC outposts.

I regularly mix up the speak / demo / practice teaching styles. I do believe we need to stop calling the technical/vocational learners 'not academic'...what they learn and practice is APPLIED academics as opposed to the mearly abstract. All our learners must grasp quite complicated concepts and must be able to visualize outcomes they need to produce and they must be able to produce them properly for the outcome to not kill them sometimes!

I find when it comes to learning 'differences' and difficulties that the biggest stumbling block comes when interpreting chain ID charts. Sorting out the various 3/8"s and 3/8P, and multiple choices for .325 etc. etc. If someone has dyslexia, I would imagine that could be very difficult!

For chain component ID and sharpening I have a set of those way oversize chain components that Oregon makes as teaching aids. MAkes a big difference! I also have cut up cylinders and heat sized pistons for examples, along with a load of mashed up bars, wrecked pawls, bearings and sprockets. The more you show, the better!

One of my last group mentioned that a DVD would be useful at the start of the course, just to give an overview of things.

I admit I've never asked about dyslexia, I more often get people who's first language is not English, so it doesn't matter if they can read or not, if they can't read English well! We have so far managed to get by, demonstrate, imitate, 1:1 practice...I often say when it comes to their NPTC assessment, don't worry if you can't remember the name of something, describe what it does!

When I practice mock assessments if some bright spark reels off all the correct names of chain components, I'll check them by asking them, right, so what does it do, or what function does it serve?

Thanks for your cartoon BTW, I'll use it next time and let you know what the group thinks.

Firstly, can I just thank you all for your time and responses! It's been really interesting reading what you've had to write - whether as a learner, or a trainer (or both!).

Bermy - please do use the cartoon and let us know how it works out. I've only used it a couple of times myself, but people seem to like it. Don't forget there are also a series of video's on Drive Link that you could use as well. There's starting a chainsaw, dealing with snapped cords on the recoil starter and a few others too. They've been watched over 52,000 times now! Can't quite believe it myself! Anyway, it's all resources to be used by anyone.

Lee - your comment "Well done mate, there are lots of dyslexics in this game for some reason or another some very good arbo's!!" is so true. I've had students that couldn't read, and others who have studied at Level 5, others have been 'landed gentry' and yet others leaving prison. It doesn't matter what your background is, with the right training, everyone is equal and capable of achieving something.

I've also recently put together a short paper on the use of 'mobile technology', i.e. video and audio, because I believe that it could help people learn stuff and potentially reduce accidents in industry. Perhaps I should load that up too for you all to see and comment on?

Thanks,

David.

Edited by DriveLink

Hi Drive link I love your website its really helpfull.

I am getting close to my assessment now so working really hard . I am finding the chain ID charts very difficult to master . but the rest is comming well.

Writing the whole assessment schedual out every day and using visual imagery with it helps .

walking over the points in my mind as I write them really helps gradually I am able to remember more from memory each time I write it .

Eastwater :001_smile: