Petzl Croll

Joe why would you not recommend a kleimheist on a single line? I have heard that before bit I have found it quite appropriate.

I'd imaging for the same reason that you engineered the Rope Wrench, Kevin. Climbing a single line with a klemheist as the only attachment would bind the knot very tight each time it was loaded. I'm certain that it would be unsafe to descend on, due to the massive amount of friction the knot would be subjected to.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you would say the Unicender is where it's at then. My only concern was service life, it's a lot of money for something that may only last a year. Hopefully they will bring out a more durable one.

You can get an attachment for the uni called the drum which dramatically increases the life of the uni and I think also enhances the proformance

I'd imaging for the same reason that you engineered the Rope Wrench, Kevin. Climbing a single line with a klemheist as the only attachment would bind the knot very tight each time it was loaded. I'm certain that it would be unsafe to descend on, due to the massive amount of friction the knot would be subjected to.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I thought the klemheist wasn't a hitch too descend on any way without a friction device.

J:thumbup1:

You can get an attachment for the uni called the drum which dramatically increases the life of the uni and I think also enhances the proformance

So I've heard, I'm still waiting more feedback on this, seriously I've just been waiting for an updated improved version Uni.

At the moment I'd rather buy a zig zag and whack a RW on it for ascent and still work the tree on my hitchclimber, but this is just a frivolous expense for not much gain other than a slightly safer mode of access. Otherwise the Uni would just be a direct replacement for my croll.

I'm also getting tired of my rope walker system and really want to refine that.

The Unicender is such an old bit of kit, it really has more potential, this is what I respect the most about Kevin Bingham, his constant refinement, improvement and problem solving skills.

For me the unicender is so close to being awesome but just doesn't quite do it yet. Needs a nice pulley below it, a gate to trap the rope in it, harder wearing surfaces. I've seen Morgans prototype and the future should yield something amazing. At some point.

When I wear out my uni (soon) I will be waiting for a new model to come out. In the mean time if I need something that self tends beautifully for work on spikes I will be looking at a rope runner. I would say that you are so comfortable with the frog walker for access Marc, why change it? I guess if you want to option to bail out mid ascent without the need to change over get a wrench.. Getting a uni is a very expensive replacement for a croll. But if you dont descend on it much it will last ages. Ive had mine over a year but mainly just use it on removals.