Price guides ?? and quotes

prolinep

Ok so I know people are funny about what they charge etc ... but what do most people charge per day for a job.. the roughly going rate for arborist and grounds man? because some jobs i quote on they sem to get cheaper quotes and i think.. how the ... and wtill makea profit :/

It's very unlikely your going to get an honest day rate on this forum, everyone is worried that they will get undercut and lose work. If we all did post our day rates it might just force up prices and enable everyone to do a better job and have a more comfortable life, that said I'm not going to post mine!

In my part of the country (Berkshire) as far I can see companies are charging anywhere between £400-900+vat for a 2 man team truck and chipper.

Work out your day rate and stick to it.

If it helps I have 3 rates depending on the complexity of the job and I know my profit margin so can give a discount if works tight or I want the job.

I would encourage you not to get caught up on price. That is to say there will always be someone cheaper than you whatever you charge but clients don't always buy the cheapest. Aldi is cheaper than Waitrosse but they are both still full of people spending money.

Look at your service, the way you present and sell yourself to the client and ask is there anything I could have done better?

If there is do it next time.

If not move on and forget it.

I get 80% of the jobs I quote for and from feedback I get I'm generally the highest quote.

Don't get angry and frustrated life's to short.

You can't alway compete on price but you can on quality

Hi guys the following are my opinions and work for me in my situation, i am never short of work and have a solid client base "trained" in the appliance of daily rates and priced work,they understand the difference and are happy for me to apply either structure as i see fit…..i am fair to them and they are fair to me.

I work in the shadow of two large companies, one of them will undercut any price,but if you give good service,do what you promise and communicate well, you will establish a good client base,i used fret about pricing but have learned that if you know all your running costs: each machine, truck, worker, insurance,H&S and so on…..break it down, make a prompt card with each item priced then it is easy to quote as you survey the job,

you have to allow for snafu's, weather and ground conditions, these are Your running costs… now no two operators will do the job for the same money in the same way, so you cannot put a price comparison into play…. we all have our own pricing structures…. if you are keeping customers, you are doing something right….. don't worry ,don't compare, just kick on…And make profit.

On the matter of customers asking about doing better on the price…. Never budge… just throw in a little gesture or job to sweeten the pot even if it is only clearing a bit of unrelated brash …..and remember if you don't make a good impression when "chatting" with the customer you probably won't be seeing him again,

Some Clients prefer a daily rate, they feel its fairer to all concerned, this is good if you have covered your prompt card, explained that you work certain hours, i.e. 8 to 4 30with 3 breaks…. ect….just so they don't think jeez they were gone at 4 30 and get pissed off….

beechwood is spot on with his comments,do your thing and don't worry about the competition……let them worry !

I sleep 7 solid hours every night, price jobs and forget them…….if they come in…. Fantastic! if they don't , then move on!

I get nearly every job i quote for and do not even advertise.

i Work hard and love what do,so why should worry….i'm not in an office, life is Good Enjoy it…..So should you…..

If you give a customer your price verbally, do it with confidence and look them square in the eye. NEVER be affraid or ashamed with your price.

If they say it's too much (like they said above) move on. I've had loads of people say that and then book me in anyway. Some just make up rival quotes to try to knock your price down. If you haggle you are saying that your first price was higher than you needed to charge.

I also never reduce the price for cash - your costs and required profit are the same regardless of payment method. The only people who benefit from cash jobs are those who defraud the tax man. Who does your potential customer work for???

Be confident and be honest.

Il be honest and say i give a quote and most of the time i find i get the job but someone once told me "dont be a busy idiot" so half the time im thinking maybe im charging not enough.. :/. normally id say for a days work truck, chipper myself and a groundsman £600 for a full day... i mean il stick it out there as my prices are what they are for me to earn a living.. but whats others in this games opionion on that .. sound about right ? or to cheap ? :/

If you give a customer your price verbally, do it with confidence and look them square in the eye. NEVER be affraid or ashamed with your price.

If they say it's too much (like they said above) move on. I've had loads of people say that and then book me in anyway. Some just make up rival quotes to try to knock your price down. If you haggle you are saying that your first price was higher than you needed to charge.

I also never reduce the price for cash - your costs and required profit are the same regardless of payment method. The only people who benefit from cash jobs are those who defraud the tax man. Who does your potential customer work for???

Be confident and be honest.

SPOT ON! did a job a few years ago gave a quote was accepted …. job done everyone happy, client says he will settle up i said make the check out to the co…..( he agreed by the books price by the way)…. he pullout a roll of cash and started pulling off enough to cover the bill and said "cash ok?" SO in a rare moment of clarity declined and said i could only take a check and i had emailed the invoice…. he then tried again and i said i would really prefer to have a check ask do not like cash, and then he said "ok i work for the revenue commissioners'………BLOODY HELL! was i inspired or what!!

so now always try to find out what line of work clients are in……thank the gods i never employ people on the scratcher…...::sneaky2: