is it really worth it

simonm

Plenty of lifestyle guys coming to it as second careers. They've often already paid the mortgage and sorted their pension in their previous job and are now looking to live the dream playing with saws and swinging from trees all day. They don't need to make the same cash, so are undercutting, but sometimes don't have the skills or experience to do a decent job. Sad state of affairs really.

About sums it up In many instances I think.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help being annoyed when sub standard work is undertaken that I have quoted for. These are a couple of around 160 trees a firm have cut. They are not local. The specification:

"Reduce crown to previous pruning point, crownlift to 5.5m"

To be honest it's not the work that really offends, I actually recommended to the TO 7 years ago that we should "high pollard" the trees. It's the fact that I had quoted to reduce the trees and we did "lovingly" reduce the trees a few years back. It's no wonder we don't compete on price?

Its quick and the client is saving money...what more can they ask for :lol:

Its quick and the client is saving money...what more can they ask for :lol:

If they had asked me to do that, I would have quoted differently and they probably would have saved even more money, but they didn't, they asked us to reduce them.. So a firm driving for 3 hours a day wins the work on my doorstep.. :confused1:

Plenty of lifestyle guys coming to it as second careers. They've often already paid the mortgage and sorted their pension in their previous job and are now looking to live the dream playing with saws and swinging from trees all day. They don't need to make the same cash, so are undercutting, but sometimes don't have the skills or experience to do a decent job. Sad state of affairs really.

A fairly wild sweeping generalisation but I guess it's always somebody else's fault when a business fails through failing to adapt & evolve. I don't mean to have a poke, but as somebody that has come into the trade as a "second career" I can assure you it's not a hobby (although it is a lifestyle choice.) I've invested considerable time, training & money into my second career, I love my work, never been happier on a personal level but it's unlikely my quotes undercut others, quite the opposite in fact, I select my potential customers carefully and don't mess around with customers that quibble or haggle over a few squid, not worth my time or energy. Just a suggestion, but based on personal experience, the "second career" brigade you suggest are undercutting the old boys, probably have a minimum price per day they can even be bothered to leave the house for, based on previous salary, so I wouldn't have thought that's a realistic cause for the downfall of long standing outfits.

Unlikely as Kevin says if they dont need the work they wont under cut to get it. More likely the streams of fully qualified inexperienced youngsters leaving the colleges still living with mum and dad.

Just a suggestion, but based on personal experience, the "second career" brigade you suggest are undercutting the old boys, probably have a minimum price per day they can even be bothered to leave the house for, based on previous salary, so I wouldn't have thought that's a realistic cause for the downfall of long standing outfits.

I'd say that's as much a generalisation as any point I made. The fact that there is increasing supply into the market, should perhaps imply that prices go down and quality increases with competition, but that doesn't seem to be happening - I guess there's no such thing as a perfect market though.

Still a better place to be than some of the log suppliers who don't do tree work.

Back to the original thread. Business is bloody hard work. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's ugly.

To get through the bad and ugly bits it helps to have set of goals and to focus on them. I have never waivered from mine. A goal should be centred on your core beliefs. That way it's much simpler to keep track. You'll note I used the word simpler, not easier. Sticking to your goals is about as hard as defining them in the first place.

It also helps to focus on your goals when times are good. This way you can allow yourself a smile and a joyous feeling that what you're achieving is actually what you want.

Running a business/company or being self-employed is not for everyone. In fact the vast majority of people don't actually like it. Statistics show that 98% of all companies cease trading before 10 years is up. Fair play to all those who have a go. Even if it doesn't work out, they'll know they gave it a go.

Look for the positive learning outcomes from all situations. Question your self, 'What did that teach me, how do I improve?'. 'How will I do it differently next time?'

The market place is what it is. Unless a person comes up with something completely new, concept or widget, the market as it stands is there for the taking. Forge a way into it by being better than the alternatives at the time when the buyer wants your particular service.

If you're not happy doing what you're doing, do something else.

I think you win more work by displaying a positive attitude on site. For larger contracts, tidy work wear and clean vehicles and lack of texting. When discussing work with customer dont sound desperate and dont say you are flooded otherwise they think you are over stretched. Things that put doubt in your mind will do the same to your customer. Its good to get a few new customers familarity breeds contempt.

I really enjoy doing tree work but lately ive been thinking is it really worth all the hassle! People round here seem to be working for nothing and i cant compete customers don't seem to care how good a job you do and would rather save a few quid and pay some numptys to do a crap job! Kit costs a fortune, fuel in everything you all know how it goes. Overheads are huge even for a 2 man team...we have been doing alot of fencing and i don't turn as much money over but when its all worked out as overheads are lower we are actually better off:thumbup1: plus at the end of the day in not faffing about cleaning,checking,servicing kit when i could be spending time with my other half. Is it just 1 of those days or does anyone else think like that?

We all have days when we think like that, I was thinking the same yesterday. Yesterday's job was taking down 2 good size sycamores, all wood to stay as it fell and all brash put in a heap. No chipping or logging up. Got paid and away by 1.30. Great, then you get days where it's just hassle, hassle, hassle. That's the joy of working for yourself, you gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Back to the original thread. Business is bloody hard work. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's ugly.

To get through the bad and ugly bits it helps to have set of goals and to focus on them. I have never waivered from mine. A goal should be centred on your core beliefs. That way it's much simpler to keep track. You'll note I used the word simpler, not easier. Sticking to your goals is about as hard as defining them in the first place.

It also helps to focus on your goals when times are good. This way you can allow yourself a smile and a joyous feeling that what you're achieving is actually what you want.

Running a business/company or being self-employed is not for everyone. In fact the vast majority of people don't actually like it. Statistics show that 98% of all companies cease trading before 10 years is up. Fair play to all those who have a go. Even if it doesn't work out, they'll know they gave it a go.

Look for the positive learning outcomes from all situations. Question your self, 'What did that teach me, how do I improve?'. 'How will I do it differently next time?'

The market place is what it is. Unless a person comes up with something completely new, concept or widget, the market as it stands is there for the taking. Forge a way into it by being better than the alternatives at the time when the buyer wants your particular service.

If you're not happy doing what you're doing, do something else.

Good advice there:thumbup1: