electro-hydraulic winches

Robbyrasta

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told not to skid logs on the winch cable as it's bad for the drum break.

As TCD said the cookie should be winch side as it stop the pull if it knocks the little plunger sensor on the winder.

It's a tidy looking winch. I've finally managed to find the pulling limit of the 9.5 tonne winch. Stalled the tractor trying to drag this very large lump of Ash.

Yep, the choker chains should be put through the slots in the winch bulkhead and the strain taken off the drum but it's not always that easy. Leaving them attached to the cable means you can pull out stuck chokers between the ground and log. Got pics of all this somewhere... will go huntin'.

Yep, the choker chains should be put through the slots in the winch bulkhead and the strain taken off the drum but it's not always that easy. Leaving them attached to the cable means you can pull out stuck chokers between the ground and log. Got pics of all this somewhere... will go huntin'.

Other great things about keeping them on the cable is when your dragging uphill and you loose traction just drop the load track on winch them back up. Strangly this is normally most useful on really big heavy logs. The ones you don't want to drag on the cable. Thats how drum bearings bend.

I think i get what you saying about choakers when they get suck under a log and they need a jolt to present the hook to undo. or when they are just dug into the wood and into the mud under the weight of the log.

Other great things about keeping them on the cable is when your dragging uphill and you loose traction just drop the load track on winch them back up.

:thumbup1:

One place I worked, the guy in charge would hook them on the buttplate every single time, without fail and made us do that too. One site we worked had a ditch to cross and meant the tractor (2wd) would get stuck every snig and trying to wrestle the chains out of the slots was a right pig to do, as well as time consuming. He was off site one afternoon and couldn't beleive how much we got out while he was away.......

I was struggling to get the chokers on and tight on the slots.

But havin thought about it, I think I was trying to get the logs too high off the ground. Then having to use the winch to take the strain.

Lift arms will lift higher enough I am sure.

( been a while since used a skidder)

Me, being lazy (and most importantly OWNING the winch) ALWAYS drag on the drum.

This was the very reason I bought the electro-hydraulic.

See a soft spot ahead, click the winch to free-spool, drive through empty, drop the butt-plate and winch in again.

A trifle tedious, but otherwise unworkable, in my ground conditions.

Just need a longer wire.

m

Me, being lazy (and most importantly OWNING the winch) ALWAYS drag on the drum.

This was the very reason I bought the electro-hydraulic.

See a soft spot ahead, click the winch to free-spool, drive through empty, drop the butt-plate and winch in again.

A trifle tedious, but otherwise unworkable, in my ground conditions.

Just need a longer wire.

m

Having spent a few years towing oil rigs about with 150-250 tonne on the brake, (as well as a few drags of timber in my spare time) I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would want to do anything else.

AFAIK the slots on the butt plate are there to get your first snig off the winch wire so you can go back for another one and make the drag worthwhile - with small stuff obviously.

If the drum brake is holding it is holding, the only way towing on the brake can be bad for the brake is if it is poorly adjusted and slipping and you persist in operating that way.

Cheers mac

Technically the chains must be attached to the butt plate when skidding to avoid damage to the brake, I think the manual states this.

However, I know many of our customers skid with the logs hanging on the brake and we have never had any brake issues.

Make sure you dont get any oil on the brake band though, that kills it pretty quickly!

Having spent a few years towing oil rigs about with 150-250 tonne on the brake, (as well as a few drags of timber in my spare time) I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would want to do anything else.

AFAIK the slots on the butt plate are there to get your first snig off the winch wire so you can go back for another one and make the drag worthwhile - with small stuff obviously.

If the drum brake is holding it is holding, the only way towing on the brake can be bad for the brake is if it is poorly adjusted and slipping and you persist in operating that way.

Cheers mac

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: