Thoughts on a £169.99 Top Handle Saw?

hicksj

Hi All,

About to take my climbing tickets and I'm in no real rush for a saw...... Climbing Kit to get first!

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the budget saws now available. Lawnflite / MDT for £169.99 in most dealers now. Quite new to the market apparently!!??

With the cost of a Stihl / Husky £500+ thought maybe I could burn a few of these out for the same (if not less) cost.

top-handle petrol chainsaw MTD | eBay

Link above of the saw I mean.

Cheers

You may want to look at look at http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk or even www.thegreenreaper.co.uk even cheaper.

I've been using one for the past year and so far the only issue I have had with it is the choke button top snapped off (fixed it with some 4mm accessory cord - new part costs £7 from dealers!!!!)

Whilst most pro's snear at it as a starter I would rate it as ok but once its died replace it with a STIHL or Husqvarna asap.

I believe thats the same as the AMA that used to be sold by FR JONES, nice little saw great for small prunings can feel a little under powered on the hard stuff or when the timber is bigger but not a bad saw!

Be careful with the strop loop mine snapped off and the saw dropped into a stream below!! works again now but took abit of fettling:thumbup:

I have got four of them .................................enough said.

Have had same issues has above choke....strop hole .

BOUGHT 2 that have been returned under warranty for £20 ,ideal spares .

Still not a bad little saw but keep that chain tight and the idle creeps up so be careful.

Ste

Hi All,

About to take my climbing tickets and I'm in no real rush for a saw...... Climbing Kit to get first!

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the budget saws now available. Lawnflite / MDT for £169.99 in most dealers now. Quite new to the market apparently!!??

With the cost of a Stihl / Husky £500+ thought maybe I could burn a few of these out for the same (if not less) cost.

Cheers

if you are in no real rush for a saw and intend to do tree surgery for a living save your money and buy stihl !! those mickey mouse saws will drive you nuts when your 60 ft up and the don't start or fall apart ,however if you only intend to prune apple trees then maybe they are ok ....but even then I would buy stihl.

if you are in no real rush for a saw and intend to do tree surgery for a living save your money and buy stihl !! those mickey mouse saws will drive you nuts when your 60 ft up and the don't start or fall apart ,however if you only intend to prune apple trees then maybe they are ok ....but even then I would buy stihl.

I'd buy a husky :biggrin:

you got to start somewhere.

i prefer to take a punt on second hand stihl and husqvarna as i know that spares are readily available and generally the build quality is pretty good.

i know a few people that had the echo top handle and said that it was pretty good.

Hi All,

Cheers

In your shoes, at 160 I would leave it, at 60 I would give it a punt and be prepared t be disappointed.

I certainly wouldn't want it as my only front line saw, too much chance of it ducking in the middle of a job.