Greetings & Warranty issue second opinion?

tetatate2

Hi Everyone

I'm new here so please let me know if I make any mistakes.

And yes, I have an issue I'm looking for help and advise on .

After frustrations with my big old McCollough saw I forked out last year and purchased a brand new Husquvarna 435 saw I’ve been very happy with it I've used it regularly (weekly) fir cutting logs for my wood burner and da little light tree pruning.

I've looked after it well keeping it fuel with fresh oil mix (Stilhl oil).

Recently it developed a fault it would rev up properly but then within a short time it died initially it was intermittent and could be used for a while before dying but it got worse.

After checking the obvious, the filters and muffler for blockages and a new spark plug I put the saw into the local dealer where I purchased for repair under warranty.

I was surprised to be told today that the work won't be done under warranty that contaminated fuel has destroyed the diaphragm and it will cost over £100 to repair.

I understand that chainsaws can be abused and if so a repair under warranty can’t be expected but this isn’t the case with this saw, I have looked after it well!

Before taking to the dealer I checked the fuel filter in the tank and it was intact and clean.

putting to one side for the moment that I have used it regularly and always used fresh fuel ( I live beside a fuel station so only purchase as needed) I really don’t understand what sort of contamination could damage the carburettor ? as said the fuel filter was clean and intact.

I really feel disappointed, (and a little unbelieving) with this result and know I have only treated this saw with care as recommended.

I’m on a low budget but paid the price for a Husqvarna believing that it was a good quality saw and, with proper care, would last and be worth the price in the long run.

Is it possible to get a second opinion as this diagnosis just doesn’t make sense?

Sorry for being long winded

Well done and thanks if you have read it all :001_smile:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to be told today that the work won't be done under warranty that contaminated fuel has destroyed the diaphragm and it will cost over £100 to repair.

I've not known this to happen though I have found saws used (and filled) during wet periods to have a dirty brown scum form over the filter between the pumping diaphragm and the metering chamber, effectively preventing petroil from passing. I also don't know what dealers charge for labour but a carb kit is only about £20 and an hour's work to fit.

I understand that chainsaws can be abused and if so a repair under warranty can’t be expected but this isn’t the case with this saw, I have looked after it well!

With experience comes understanding, you may well have slipped up without realising, also as most saws are incredibly reliable dealers tend to be a bit suspicious of warranty claims.

Thanks for your response. I'll try to get specific details one what damage they say has been done and a break down of costings.

But in what way do you think I could have slipped up without realizing it ?

I wasn't being accusitorial but rather suggesting there are lots of ways to slip up when starting out with a saw. I remember picking up and trying the Danarm 110 for the first time and wondering why it wouldn't cut straight. I did not realise the significance of even a slight nick in cutters on one side or how much filing was necessary to get it back on form.

I wasted a lot of time and my money learning the business from scratch as I couldn't get a job, which is why I advise people to work for a firm for a couple of years and let the boss pay for mistakes :001_smile:

Did you take it back to the same dealer that you purchased it from ? I would be tempted to contact Husqvarna to ask them if the carburettor is covered under warranty and explain how you have been treated by the dealer. You might not get anywhere but it is best to register any complaint and you should be entitled to 2 years warranty if you registered the saw as a domestic user.

There have been other threads on here with husky dealers complaining about amount they get from husky for warranty repairs

May simply be seeking more £

But long term bad for husky if their agents are kicking out valid claims, will destroy value of the brand

You might buy chinese next time ifthey screw you about

I know from experience that there is a now a precedent in most of these things that the "default" lies in favour of the consumer and if a dealer wants to avoid their statutory liabilities (as he seems to in this case) then the burden of proof lies with them.

Whatever reason(s) he has for his conclusion he should be able to stand over to you, and a judge in small claims court if necessary, or he hasn't a leg to stand on.

Supposition, conjecture and waffle simply won't do, he needs hard evidence or you don't pay.

Hi

Thank you for the response

I did email Husqrvarna.

They politely replied that they were sorry for the problem I was having with the saw and that I was welcome to take it to another Husqvarna dealer for a second opinion.

So, I may do that but perhaps another local deal will be reluctant to go against another dealer ?

Did you take it back to the same dealer that you purchased it from ? I would be tempted to contact Husqvarna to ask them if the carburettor is covered under warranty and explain how you have been treated by the dealer. You might not get anywhere but it is best to register any complaint and you should be entitled to 2 years warranty if you registered the saw as a domestic user.

Hi

Thank you for the response

I did email Husqrvarna.

They politely replied that they were sorry for the problem I was having with the saw and that I was welcome to take it to another Husqvarna dealer for a second opinion.

So, I may do that but perhaps another local deal will be reluctant to go against another dealer ?

Print out the email from husqvarna and take it with you :001_smile:

Yes £100 for the repair too, I really feel sick about it, I may find out tomorrow more details and will ask for the details of how they think I could have damaged the carb.

This is quite a big shop though Ron Smiths with branches in two cities Worcester and Hereford :

One of the shop workers said that petrol even a few ( six?) weeks old could damage a saw . I've always used fresh petrol and oil mix and used the saw regularly over the winter. But can old petrol really damage a carb ?

I'm tempted to go Chinese as I could buy one for a little more than they are asking for this repair. I forked out hoping for a good saw that would last, this is really disappointing.

There have been other threads on here with husky dealers complaining about amount they get from husky for warranty repairs

May simply be seeking more £

But long term bad for husky if their agents are kicking out valid claims, will destroy value of the brand

You might buy chinese next time ifthey screw you about

Edited by Steve Bullman
removed link