Does anyone tow a trailer with a telehandler ?

gensetsteve

even though they are slow on the road as already mentioned you would need to think about brakes especially if you are looking at a older machines. this would depend on the weight and trailer type and you would also have to think about the load on the rear axle

even though they are slow on the road as already mentioned you would need to think about brakes especially if you are looking at a older machines. this would depend on the weight and trailer type and you would also have to think about the load on the rear axle

Sounds more like a machine to move trailers between fields rather than distance. I think if I was going this route would be 2008 onwards and a big machine but I still dont think they come with break line.

Although I dont do a great deal of hauling my 530-70 seems to handle it quite well. The newer versions have torque converter lockup which I am told makes a big difference, I certainly dream about it on long hills. It does have a brake line, and with approaching 10t behind, not a bad way to travel. However if it was everyday, you might have conventional transmission on fuel economy grounds.

Most of the makes have hydraulic trailer brakes fitted, if they are agricultural spec.

Done a lot of hours in a jcb 526 farm special, a strong, nippy machine and did most things you asked of it well, loaded trailer towing wasn't one of them, sluggish on the road if you came up any sort of hill, the engine wouldn't die just the speed would drop off, changing down didn't really help other than keeping transmission oil temperature a bit better.

Loaded trailers never feel to be a problem though, as in tail wagging the dog.

Operated other makes and all much the same towing.

If your not looking to tow all the time, and not over long distances up and down mountains, and keep on top of maintenance, especially transmission, should be OK.

done it but personally i think there horrid on the road without a trailer let alone with a trailer on

know someone thats knackered a 13 plate jcb transmission overloading it and forgetting to change the transmission mode

besides if looking for a machine that new i would not touch jcb with a barge pole horrid useless badly engineered piles of junk.

the old 526 s machines are brilliant and put up with a lot of abuse but the modern ones feel like they came out a kinda egg

Most of the makes have hydraulic trailer brakes fitted, if they are agricultural spec.

Done a lot of hours in a jcb 526 farm special, a strong, nippy machine and did most things you asked of it well, loaded trailer towing wasn't one of them, sluggish on the road if you came up any sort of hill, the engine wouldn't die just the speed would drop off, changing down didn't really help other than keeping transmission oil temperature a bit better.

Loaded trailers never feel to be a problem though, as in tail wagging the dog.

Operated other makes and all much the same towing.

If your not looking to tow all the time, and not over long distances up and down mountains, and keep on top of maintenance, especially transmission, should be OK.

Good point about the Ag Spec machines, you can find construction spec machines a lot cheaper, but usually dont have the engine horsepower, pickup hitch and front services, and tipping pipe at the back!

526 is a great machine

Edited by farmer rod
tipping pipe

image.jpg.0c282fc23ed6138a6c137f07612a78be.jpgWe use a jcb telehandler to tow this trailer on the road everyday. It got a 40k gearbox and boom suspension so is very nice to drive on the road also it's 135 hp so pretty good for towing still a bit steady on the hills with a full load.:thumbup:

Sorry to be the pooper in all this, but no one has mentioned despite telehandlers having drawbars fitted it is illegal, because they are classed as mobile cranes. Not allowed to tow on highway. Think about insurance being invalid, It wont be long before the self funding VOSA cash in on this fact. This has been law for many years. All it takes is a fatality, public outcry, then the hate campaign. The noose will tighten.