Briggs and Stratton

PeteB

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working in London back in 1985, & only coming home for 2 days a fortnight, & being faced with a big overgrown lawn. I went in to cromwell mowers(is it still going ?)at Market Harborough, & asked for the "biggest mower" i could get for £200. I was told don't get the biggest get the best, & came out of there with a briggs & stratton powerd red rover.

I'm still using said rover, not just for my own garden but commercialy as well, best buy i ever made, that engine never misses a beat.

Rob

personally i don't like the b @s engines but due to 85% of mowers having them these days there not much choice on the past 4 mowers i have in the last 6 years all have had B&S engines over 5.5hp all died with in 18months but currently got an alko with a 675 b&s engine wich starts 2nd pull and is now 20months old

personally i don't like the b @s engines but due to 85% of mowers having them these days there not much choice on the past 4 mowers i have in the last 6 years all have had B&S engines over 5.5hp all died with in 18months but currently got an alko with a 675 b&s engine wich starts 2nd pull and is now 20months old

Glad the ALKO has outlived the others, but what happened to the others?

As long as the Briggs is serviced properly and the oil kept topped up, they just do not die.

Sure, they eventually wear out, but that takes many, many years.

Glad the ALKO has outlived the others, but what happened to the others?

As long as the Briggs is serviced properly and the oil kept topped up, they just do not die.

Sure, they eventually wear out, but that takes many, many years.

all mowers where new i do just a lot of grass two full 15hr days every fortnight loads of small lawns approximately = too about 3 acres there always checked every day for oil cleaned filters one a month and oil change every 6months so reasonably looked after

had a harry mower with b&s engine that just stopped while cutting a lawn and refused to start back up not sized just wont fire up even though had spark and fule going there but did seem low compression

had snapper with the 675b&s the metal engine casings cracked and then caused a large hole

had a hayter with b&S engine that melted the piston and sized and had plenty of oil so dont know what happen there

had a mountfield b&s engine that caught on fire while cutting grass

and last one was a oleo-mac with b&s engine and that lasted 5months and snaped the con rod

now on the alko engine is perfect but broke the lift up grass flap and repaired with wire and clips and broken drive cable and none of the local dealers for lawn mowers can get parts for me

Edited by littlerob

Littlerob I can help with the Alko parts if you need any as I am a Alko dealer . We sell plenty of alkos every year good machines simple but effective , we nave not had any warranty issues in the 2 seasons we have been selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all mowers where new i do just a lot of grass two full 15hr days every fortnight loads of small lawns approximately = too about 3 acres there always checked every day for oil cleaned filters one a month and oil change every 6months so reasonably looked after

had a harry mower with b&s engine that just stopped while cutting a lawn and refused to start back up not sized just wont fire up even though had spark and fule going there but did seem low compression

had snapper with the 675b&s the metal engine casings cracked and then caused a large hole

had a hayter with b&S engine that melted the piston and sized and had plenty of oil so dont know what happen there

had a mountfield b&s engine that caught on fire while cutting grass

and last one was a oleo-mac with b&s engine and that lasted 5months and snaped the con rod

now on the alko engine is perfect but broke the lift up grass flap and repaired with wire and clips and broken drive cable and none of the local dealers for lawn mowers can get parts for me

To be quite honest Littlerob, failures of this nature are very unusual, to have had as many as you have is even more unusual.

I am sorry to say this, but Ithink we have to be looking at maintenance here, especially the oil management.

Many operators do not realise the significance of the the oil. The fact that there is oil in the engine does not necessarily mean the engine is well lubricated. The oil breaks down in time, and although it may be present, it may not be lubricating or cooling the engine as it should.

Engines should have their oil changed after the first 5 hours from new. This is often overlooked and does not present too much problem in light domestic use, but its a different story in commercial use. The wear rate in a new engine is greatest in the first 5 hrs and changing the oil not only puts fresh oil in but removes all the running in particles with the old oil.

The engine oil should then be changed every 25 hours, which in your case means once a fortnight.

I know this sounds extreme, and there will be those who say it is not necessary, but if you want your engines to last it is very necessary. Oil is, after all, cheaper than engines.

The snapped conrod would have been as a result of a seize, or semi seize on the big end. Lubrication problem.

Low compression as a result of bore wear, Lubrication problem. The same with melted piston.