Legal but dangerous.

Woodworks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP'S thread reads like he may have been over loaded and weather conditions were also working against him as well. My policy has always been never to travel in rainy conditions. Far to many idiots behind the wheel ready willing and able to cause an accident or Two and never give a Second thought.

easy-lift guy

I was probably close to the legal limit for the trailer but not for the vehicle. Estimate my load behind at max 2500kg. Don't think this is far off from previous experience. Legal towing limit for the Defender 90 is 3500kg so way within it's supposed limits.

As for not driving in the rain :lol:

You must live in a different country. Had a look at some info from a local weather station and last time we had 24 hours without some rain was the 10th of December.

Can I come and dry out in Florida :biggrin:

I was probably close to the legal limit for the trailer but not for the vehicle. Estimate my load behind at max 2500kg. Don't think this is far off from previous experience. Legal towing limit for the Defender 90 is 3500kg so way within it's supposed limits.

As for not driving in the rain :lol:

You must live in a different country. Had a look at some info from a local weather station and last time we had 24 hours without some rain was the 10th of December.

Can I come and dry out in Florida :biggrin:

Understood. We do have our rainy season here generally between April-August.

Actually not having control of the trailer due to the size of the truck would leave me pretty shook up as well.

Yes you are welcome to come over to dry out and I will show you some Southern Hospitality as well:

easy-lift guy

Are trailers in the UK illegal with electric breaks?. Standard fare this part of the world. Flat country for the most part where I live and in the past I would on a weekly basis pull 32-36' trailers.

Usuall GVW any where from 14 to 18 K. I could not begin to comprehend pulling any of my trailers with out electric breaks. The OP'S thread reads like he may have been over loaded and weather conditions were also working against him as well. My policy has always been never to travel in rainy conditions. Far to many idiots behind the wheel ready willing and able to cause an accident or Two and never give a Second thought.

easy-lift guy

Does anyone sell a trailer over here with electric brakes?

If I could find a 3500 kg trailer with electric brakes I would buy it in a heartbeat.

What would be reAlly nice is a trailer capable of a 3500kg with electric brakes- but also a heavy duty landrover which weighs a good 3ton in itself, heavy duty running gear/thicker chassis and a good 4.2 liter diesel lump in it. so that its still a viable option for folks who don't want to go down the 3500kg+ vehicle route.

That I would buy in a new York minute!

You can get air brakes fitted, alot of iw trailers can have them retro fitted easily and uprated to 4000kg which can behind most the landrover family range, it makes such a difference to the drive and soo much safer, I have the company's details somewhere, will dig them out

What would be reAlly nice is a trailer capable of a 3500kg with electric brakes- but also a heavy duty landrover which weighs a good 3ton in itself, heavy duty running gear/thicker chassis and a good 4.2 liter diesel lump in it. so that its still a viable option for folks who don't want to go down the 3500kg+ vehicle route.

That I would buy in a new York minute!

They do its called a RB44. 4ltr diesel about 3.5 ton 4x4 with diff locks, Hi/low range , air brakes and coupled if you like. :)

Bob

Brilliant Ted

Flights booked so see you in the morning.

Ah just remembered got to go shopping tomorrow so can't come but hows about you bring over some of that Florida sun for the APF :thumbup:

I will do my best, last APF, I packed an additional supply of nice weather for the event and the show was wonderful:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Over run trailer brakes only slow you down when going forwards not when your getting dragged backwards

That's how it sounds in this case.

Same happened to me once because the trailer just turns into a dead weight trying too pull you back down the hill with only the vehicle brakes for assistance. Also don't forget that brakes are not as effective when going backwards.

Air brakes are the only safe system all round.