What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

commercial treework will die out in Scotland in the event of independence, all trees will be managed by the state, every aspect of life in an independent Scotland will be managed by the state.

This will mean all intelligent and freethinking 'pro treeworkers' from Scotland will move to the rest of the UK to escape Salmond's cold water Cuba.

Edited by scotspine1

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone sent me that pic, it might be bulls++t, but I doubt it, it's funny how you can assume someone with recieved pronunciation is highly educated.

I think it just goes to show that in the playground of the Houses of Parliament souinding posh and being able to treat the country's woes as a win/lose of a public school debate is more important than substance.

And I said I wanted to keep off the politics. Seriously, I hope no-one makes up their mind based on Salmond's personality except insofar as it might reflect the national personality, and likewise Osborne. Personally it's that last bit that makes me want to push scotland out in a rowboat and take our chances, rather than stick with Westminster pomposity.

So back to the debate. It seems that the consequences of independence for the tree industry are highly dependent on what pans out on currency and border controls. Does anypne south of teh border want to speculate what will happen if the Tories get in next time around by selling their souls to the UKIP-sympathisers, then have their much promised referendum on Europe in/out for the UK. I mean, wha happens if UK votes to get out? Won't that create problems for trading with europe (transaction costs) and could we effectively shut the borders to imported plants and infected timber?

commercial treework will die out in Scotland in the event of independence, all trees will be managed by the state, every aspect of life in an independent Scotland will be managed by the state.

This will mean all intelligent and freethinking 'pro treeworkers' from Scotland will move to the rest of the UK to escape Salmond's cold water Cuba.

Och go on Tim, tell us what you really think!

England might not let us in after independence. You at least would nneed to change your name to English Oak. Or you could stay and be the first tsuga tsar of Scotland adn make sure the tree insustry up here stays sensible.

I don't think that there will be too many problems with trade. The French will want to sell their wine to us and the Germans will still want to sell their BMW and Mercedes cars to us. In return we will still sell our whisky to them.

Would be quite interesting in a few years time if Scotland were in the EU and FUK was out!