What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

That's going to be a problem for all trading partners in all industry. We wont let them have the Pound and the Euro wont have them either so they will be back to painting their faces blue and bartering for the things they need.

Its going to be murder keeping change for a sheep when they come to pay a bill.:laugh1:

Nonsense, everyone knows that a sheep equals 12 chickens and a chicken equals 16 mice. Easy peasy. Ok, you might need a cart instead of a wallet, but it's do-able.

No it looks like Scotland will need its own currency. Like Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Catalonia and the Basque Country.

In gaelic the pound is the 'Not' and the penny is the 'Sgilllig'. That should do for a while

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am thinking about employment law, certification of kit, regulation, pests and diseases and plant orders etc.

I think it will be a close call but not something that will come to pass. But if it did you could probably expect a direct read across if it doesn't presently fall under Scots Law. Bigger firms up here are adopting FISA, so I would expect FISA (Scotland) to come into being. TPO's are managed by the local councils so no change there.

I imagine there would be plenty of test cases in Scottish courts until everything was copied over and written into Scots Law.

I would also expect 10 laying chickens for a sheep.

I think it will be a close call but not something that will come to pass. But if it did you could probably expect a direct read across if it doesn't presently fall under Scots Law. Bigger firms up here are adopting FISA, so I would expect FISA (Scotland) to come into being. TPO's are managed by the local councils so no change there.

I imagine there would be plenty of test cases in Scottish courts until everything was copied over and written into Scots Law.

I would also expect 10 laying chickens for a sheep.

LAYING chickens? They're worth twice the broilers! I can see we would need definitions for this bartering system to work.

Seroiusly, I am struggling to think of many areas oif UK law that aren't already devolved. Obviously Planning is already. And it wopuld only take one piece of legislation to state that after independence all laws that had pertained to UK now pertain to both Scotland and to the Disunited Kingdom. Should only take a few pages. But the deviil's in the detail as ever. There's another 500 right away.

It will be a little worse for you cutters in england, here's why:

After a couple of years the scottish government will start to run out of cash, spending will fall, or taxes on the rich will rise. Either way the bread and butter of scottish tree surgeons will take a big hit, i.e. less rich clients as they will have moved away from scotland due to higher taxes, and less government work.

The upshot of this will be, companies close to the border like mine and the bigger companies will start chasing english work, I am already looking to expand into NE england. and cutters laid off due to the lack of work in scotland will move south looking for work.

This will increase competition for you english guys and drive down prices and wages.

You could take Swiss approach ----- cap personal income tax at say £60,000

So rich can be officially resident in scotland and reduce theirtax

But few thousand coughing up £60k per annum adds up

Plus they would want lots of expensive luxury items

Ditto companies with corporation tax .....

So expect companies with offices in london. Manchester and edinburgh

Companies will Export their profits to low tax area ......

Governments have to realise they will be in competion for businesses

Over charge them andthey will move

Or thy could go albanian way

Close the borders

Live on what they make

I think cameron and his mates are crapping themselves at option one

For all their fancy talk governments really dont want competition