Too old?

rcarolina

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climb as much as possible,,, get fit and learn fast.... 3-5 years on the job with a good company and you will know the job, if you already have a good knowlege of trees tree care and pest and diseases then your well on your way the rest is just experience and a bit of natural talent..

Climb as much as possible,,, get fit and learn fast.... 3-5 years on the job with a good company and you will know the job, if you already have a good knowlege of trees tree care and pest and diseases then your well on your way the rest is just experience and a bit of natural talent..

I have always thought that 2-3 years should be done on the ground , learning the ropes as it were before getting into a harness. Just me???

Posted this elsewhere but this is the latest:

Well, didn't need Bigshot in the end - manged to get the tree climbed by lobbing the rope over a lower limb. The assessment went well and so that's CS38 and CS39 under the belt for me.

I found the training quite intense and there was a lot to take in in a relatively short space of time (6 Days). Was working some muscles that I generally only use for honking - you know those ones right deep down in the pit of your stomach - but the climbing got easier and more enjoyable as the days went on. I enjoyed learning the knots too and putting it all into practice. I didn't have a problem with the cuts on CS39 as I have been using a saw for over a year now on the ground but I did find the work postioning challenging at times - all about the anchor points isn't it? But what a difference it makes when you get the postiton spot on. All in all it was a very enjoyable experience and I just hope that I can make good use of my new found skills now.

Specail mention should be made to one of the trainers - Andy Green - he really helped me get over some of my intial problems and was really supportive and offred great advice. He also bought us all a doughnut can't get better than that. I'm on a real high at the moment and hope the new year will signal a change in career direction for me. Thanks for all your tips and encouragement too Arbtalkers. :thumbup: