catalytic converter nicked

unimog 72

Take it of and gut it out and check :blushing:

Have done . As I said its a ceramic particulate filter . It just crumbled to dust . Check out " Long Life Stainless Exhausts " and their article " Removing Catalytic Converters from a Diesel car -- What you need to know "

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That what I was wondering . Are they ? I took what I thought was the cat out of my Nav and there was no metal in it at all . It was a matrix of what looked like grey clay . It just crumbled into dust . I looked it up and was informed it was a ceramic filter . I was wondering if these scrotes are nicking them thinking they are worth something when they might not be . :blushing:

That grey stuff is ceramic. The metals are fixed to it and need processing to remove. Diesel cats contain more platinum than petrol along with other metals. OEM cats can be worth a fair bit but take a replacement along to a dealer and you might get £3 each. There are catalogues available which list car models and the value of the cats. You can bet your life the thieves use these. Incidentally most non OEM cats are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I could be wrong here and will stand corrected but I don't think its actually a " cat " on a diesel engine as cats only work on petrol engines . I think its a ceramic filter . It was on my Navara anyway .

There are both catalytic converter and DPF (diesel particulate filter) fitted to diesels. DPF have a special cycle to run through to stop them getting too blocked, some use special fluid like AD Blue to clear them and cost an absolute fortune to replace and put the vehicle into limp home mode if not working properly you have to run the engine hard for a set length of time every month or so to stop them gobbing up.

on my 90 (23yrs old) the exhaust fell to bits a long time ago, mot last month so I cut a hole in the rear cross member welded in a piece of pipe. then ran a piece of flexi hose from existing exhaust to rear cross member, plus a few brackets hear and there.

took it for mot, examiner said it was fine, but if it had been fitted with a cat originally it would of failed.

very suprised it passed with no silencers,