MEWP Usage

David Humphries

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome photos David....:thumbup1:looked a Cracking job....:biggrin:

I use a MEWP on occasions but very rarely, good tools in the right places...:thumbup1:

Nice job well executed David :thumbup:

Cheers fellas, I'm sure the lads will check in and appreciate the comments though not all the shots are mine Adam, I didn't have any cage time on this one.

How often do your crews use mewps these days Simon ?

I'm not sure even from the perspective of comfy La La land that this was a climber Peter.

The crack opening & closing was disconcerting & at £400 hire, it was a no brainier. All the daddies going home to prospective offspring was the focus.

From the cosy perspective of hindsight, if it didn't fail while being dismantled from a mewp, if wouldn't have failed while being climbed. An extra 75kg, or 95 kg in la land, of climber loading wouldn't make that much difference, and a few ratchet straps go a long way.

Could it have been felled in one? (I appreciate the leaving a standing stem part)

From the cosy perspective of hindsight, if it didn't fail while being dismantled from a mewp, if wouldn't have failed while being climbed. An extra 75kg, or 95 kg in la land, of climber loading wouldn't make that much difference, and a few ratchet straps go a long way.

Could it have been felled in one? (I appreciate the leaving a standing stem part)

From la la land perspective, can ratchet straps be relied on really?

I'm interested, we did think about it, but didn't have any to hand (although I could of just gone and bought some I guess)

We didn't fancy the fell due to the risk of barber chair, but that doesn't mean it couldn't of been felled of course.

From la la land perspective, can ratchet straps be relied on really?

I'm interested, we did think about it, but didn't have any to hand (although I could of just gone and bought some I guess)

We didn't fancy the fell due to the risk of barber chair, but that doesn't mean it couldn't of been felled of course.

You felt a MEWP was the safest option and IMO the job was done well, ok a little more expensive but everyone must of had fun with that beast ( the MEWP also) :biggrin: and everyone went home .....seems to me you judgment served you well....:thumbup1:

I have used ratchet straps on some fairly well split trees. Not too say they would have done the job in this case, didn't see the tree so can't really make a judgement.

I am fairly certain I would have felled it though, since avoidance of work at height is preferable to using a mewp in the hse risk management guidelines.

Plus it's more fun.