MEWP Usage

David Humphries

Indeed I did. But if its not safe to climb? How do you do it? We looked at the options and decided on the platform.

I assume your reasoning is that if the tree fails it doesn't make much difference if you're next to it in a basket or tied into it in a harness.

Quite right too, but when we assessed the tree we decided that should the stem fail at the cavity it would fail in a predictable direction. We positioned the platform behind the stem from that direction. Lessening the risk IMO

I love climbing and don't get to do much these days but I don't think you can rule a mewp out as a valid option.

Agree!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed I did. But if its not safe to climb? How do you do it?

If I found myself with a tree that I felt was not safe to climb and there wasn't another tree or two trees near enough to use as a safe anchor/s.

I would want a very large MEWP,that could take the force of the tree striking it if the worst were to happen.

Or get a crane in,that had the reach to be used as an anchor for my rope.

Quite right too, but when we assessed the tree we decided that should the stem fail at the cavity it would fail in a predictable direction.

Tony,I do not wish to call into question your Knowledge and experience,I can tell from the many post of your's that I have read that you are a pro,but I think it is important to make it clear that that the term "predictable" and rotten trees do not often sit well together,and I would hate for any one without your expertise to try and make that call.:icon14:

Tony,I do not wish to call into question your Knowledge and experience,I can tell from the many post of your's that I have read that you are a pro,but I think it is important to make it clear that that the term "predictable" and rotten trees do not often sit well together,and I would hate for any one without your expertise to try and make that call.:icon14:

There are times when you can easily predict which way a tree, or part of a tree is going to fall - even if it is rotten. If the top of this dead tree was leaning to one side, and the mewp was the other, it's pretty unlikely that the piece being cut is going to straighten itself up and then fall back on to you!

As for blocking down a stem. There is no way you can move down a stem faster on spikes than a mewp can.

On spikes - Having finished previous cut. Slacken lanyard and/or lifeline. Spike down into next work position. Adjust lifeline and lanyard into safe positions. Make cut. Chuck piece.

Repeat 20 times.

I've climbed trees, hired climbers ,good ones and not so good , and let me just say this Tony is dead right no climber is faster than a mewp for blocking down!

We'd all like a mewp along with a good hia-ab on a truck , a 12'' chipper, a lorry and a 4x4 pick-up etc etc, the truth is most of us will never be able to afford kit like this, why because we have to many micro companys chasing to little work , and when we do get the work we aren't paid according to our skills [i'd love to know how much a steel erecting company charges per day]

As a business owner let me tell you guys , if I had the money i'd have a truck mount tomorrow!

Click on any American tree surgery site and see what the yanks think of cherry pickers! and they like them in Europe as well judging by this firm!

Rob Treewisemen, you pleased with your cherry picker that cost over 100k US ? silly question really..

http://www.baumpflege-bollmann.de/

As a business owner let me tell you guys , if I had the money i'd have a truck mount tomorrow!

Click on any American tree surgery site and see what the yanks think of cherry pickers! and they like them in Europe as well judging by this firm!

Rob Treewisemen, you pleased with your cherry picker that cost over 100k US ? silly question really..

http://www.baumpflege-bollmann.de/[/quote ]

Just get one bought,to borrow the money would cost a lot less the cost of a good climber.

If there so much better they would just take over.

And as for the money I don't think is as bad as you claim,not for me anyway.