milling saws

burrell_

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have a look later and tell u

The 660 is a good saw for milling I use it alot but on a 30inch bar if I need bigger I just jump to the 076

Do you think a 660 would be ok to mill with a 36" bar on it or will it be asking a bit much of the saw?

Hi folks

I've been thinking about getting into milling for a good while now and have put a few feelers out for suitable saws. After reading a few other threads I've been keeping an eye out for older saws and am hopefully picking up a 050 (might be 051?) with 30" bar next week. Also the same dealer said he may have an 070 coming up in the next few months which he'd give me first refusal on.

So my question is what size of alaskan should I be considering? I'll not be milling everything in sight, just those occasional stems/butts that I come accross in ordinary tree work that are usually ringed up for firewood but might have better uses. It would be rare to come across much that was greater than 3ft diameter.

Thanks

So my question is what size of alaskan should I be considering? I'll not be milling everything in sight, just those occasional stems/butts that I come accross in ordinary tree work that are usually ringed up for firewood but might have better uses. It would be rare to come across much that was greater than 3ft diameter.

I suggest you buy either a 36" or 48" Alaskan. You don't have to run them at full capacity, but if you are considering saws like an 070 then it will comfortably run a 46" Sugihara bar which will give you about 40" capacity if you take the dogs off the saw. You can then shorten it up to run a 25" bar for smaller stuff.

Alec

Cheers for that how do you like the 660 for milling, i'm looking at getting one soon... :thumbup:

Also in video 4 whats the black contraption attached to the saw at 1:12??

Cheers, James

I like the 066 for milling up to a point - probably up to 18". Above that I would rather have something bigger.

The "black contraption" is a Ripsaw chainsaw-driven bandmill.

Alec