The Mower Bench

GardenKit

6 minutes ago, lurkalot said:

Yep it is regarded as a bodge job, but unless you want to take the engine on a trip to a engine preconditioner and have a new seat made and fitted then this is a workaround that does work quite well in the past.  Just don't over do the peening.  Try to shift some of the aluminium over the edge of the seat if possible,  I find a small(ish) pin punch better for this job tbh.

The only trip this engine will be making is to a skip at some point. In the meantime a successful bodge will do nicely. While I'm at it, don't suppose you have any cunning tips for getting the gearstick (hydraulic gearbox) to shift more easily do you? It's almost a two-hand job at the moment, with so much backlash you pretty much have to guess which gear you might be aiming at.

Alec

Would have thought it was a manual transaxle rather than hydrostatic, but either way the linkage is probably worn pretty badly by now, and probably in need of some lube.  If it's gone stiff in the box itself then that's another story.  Always a tad awkward without seeing it first hand. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a good source for a new starter motor for a Mountfield WM 13.5 engine from a 1436m ride on? So far I've found one place selling them for around £150 and some on ebay that might be right for £50 but they seem harder to come by than I anticipated.

The mounting and gear all seem salvageable but the motor is in a bad way, my guess is it broke up then jammed and repeated attempts to use it have toasted the wiring. Are the motors fairly standard and could I swap another one into the original top mount?

Thanks

Stuart

I have not yet found after market starters for these engines, although will be keen to hear if anyone does know of any.

The genuine article is readily available from Mountfield dealers such as ourselves at about £121 plus vat, so as said, just under £150.

Thanks that at least confirms the price I should be expecting to pay. The mower has now been replaced but makes a nice spare as it is set up to mulch whereas the new one collects so I'll have to see how much he wants to spend on it. I can't help thinking there must be another motor that fits but without having them all on a shelf to try I think my only option is to get a new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:08, lurkalot said:

Yep it is regarded as a bodge job, but unless you want to take the engine on a trip to a engine preconditioner and have a new seat made and fitted then this is a workaround that does work quite well in the past.  Just don't over do the peening.  Try to shift some of the aluminium over the edge of the seat if possible,  I find a small(ish) pin punch better for this job tbh.

the punching over of the aluminium casting is an official Briggs repair   see image from workshop manual

birggs valve seat.JPG

They're obviously not allowed to use the word "Bodge" in the manual.  ;)  In most cases it will work which is why I suggested it, but B&S will tell you it won't always work.   If it's really bad you could get your local engine preconditioner to install a new seat properly.

Remember this was for an old seat which has been moving about in the block for a while, not a new replacement seat.

I have used this method with success many times over many years.

If charging for this repair though, make sure that the customer approves of this option and accepts the risk.

Same with all work that is classified as repair rather than replacement, as once done, you can then "own" the problem unless you have made them accept the responsibility should the "bodge" fail.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Mountfield TDL 484 TR given to me last year with an engine that was knackered, I took engine off and left it at that until I could find a replacement, now got a replacement and want to fit it, but for the life of me I cant work out what this spring attaches to, one end is hooked through the body of the mower. Should the other end attach to the rear axel drive?

thumbnail_IMG_20180319_114037.jpg

Edited by EricBradley