The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Hi Gardenkit,

Thanks for the fast informative reply, regarding engine rebuild would just replacing the piston rings help I can get a set for £20.

Rebore and new piston does seem like a waste of time and money, the cylinder is very smooth has not been scored so I’m not sure if it needs all that however I don’t have much experience in that type of work, also I cant find new valves anywhere and wouldn't the valve guides need to be reamed and larger valves fitted? Definitely wouldn’t go down that route but would consider changing rings and valves.

On a side note how about fitting a new engine or a reconditioned old one, I’ve seen reconditioned ones on Ebay obviously a risk who knows what condition it would be in, and I've seen new Briggs horizontal engines but don’t know if fitting it would be possible.

Other than the engine the rest of the mower is in good condition cylinder has been reground recently and the shop that did it said there was plenty of life left in it and all the belts and roller are also good, the mower cuts nice and I know new cylinder mowers are out there just a shame really to bin it.

Once again thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

I stand corrected, this engine has no valve guides so new ones are not an option.

If there is this much wear in the engine then the bore, even though smooth, will be worn. New rings may improve the situation but will not recondition it. The bore and piston wear will still be there, but there may be a tolerable improvement.

I don't think the valve stems will be worn much, it will be the softer guides. So I would not bother.

But then, I would chuck the whole thing away anyhow. Its pretty worthless and there are plenty of better ones to be had. Chucked a lovely one in the scrap a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to service my Iseki sxg19 and ransomes highway ride ons in the next couple of weeks and have just been pricing up a new filter set for both of them.

Genuine kubota filter sets for each machine comes in at roughly £150 per set!

Thats air,fuel,oil and hydraulic filters.

So with new oil I reckon its going to cost me around the £320 mark to service them both!

Is it worth using genuine filters? Or can i buy some none genuine ones from somewhere else? I don't do a lot of hours on them during the mowing season maybe 8hours each a fortnight.

Also what oil should i get? The dealer always gives me 15w40 but looking in the manuals it says SAE10W-30 for both machines.

Try TH White directly or their ebay shop. The four genuine Iseki filters are around £120 unless Ive added them incorrectly

GENUINE ISEKI FUEL FILTER TO SUIT SXG19 AND SXG22 PART NO. 167210521100 (SSGC) | eBay

Yeah plus postage comes to around the £130 mark seems a bit steep to me though?

Is it always worth buying genuine filters?

I found these on ebay for the ransomes:

Ransomes Highway 213D Filter Kit, Jacobsen, Air, Oil, Fuel, Hydraulic | eBay

They are a lot cheaper than genuine ones!

Engine oil filter ( ph4990b Fram or the equivalent ) fits the kubota engine, I have been using them for years. In bulk they are about £2 each. The truck depot down the road seems to be able to get the air filters etc.

Bob

That seems a lot better than paying 16odd quid for the one that fits the ransomes :001_rolleyes:

Anyone know if the Sthil KM-55r strimmer has a rev limiting coil ?

Think a faulty "NEW" plug was at fault as it sounded like it was bouncing off a electronic limiter lower down the rpm range than i would have expected. It 4 strokes at 10,500 ish and picks up cleanly plus idles fine now.

Not too sure if it's rev limiting. The speed of a strimmer is usually governed by the length of cord, so any tuning should be done with a full length of original diameter cord.

This one is a combo unit and on a scrub blade so i tuned it with that assembled.

The sound was just the same as one of the bigger Stihl saws that have a rev limiting coil on them and is going bad. Most odd !!

Thanks for the info Barrie :001_smile: