Working on TPO's

tractorboy1

Just thought id as you guys this, to start with I'm not a tree surgeon just getting into the industry. I mainly do garden maintance.

I customer of mine was moaning about at ceder tree in her front garden it has a TPO on it. She said it was blocking the light out of her front windows. She asked the council about cutting it back but some residents objected to it.

A well known local company knocked on her door one day asking if she wanted it cut back, to which she said yes. I'm sure she must have told them it had a TPO on it. Anyway someone phoned the council while they were doing it and she was cautioned.

What i was wondering was as a tree surgeon should you carry out work on a tree without checking if it has a TPO on it. From where it was situated you could tell there was a good chance it could have one on it.

My customer made the usual comment "my husband planted it I didn't realize it would get so big"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a while you get to know what to be warey of and the areas you work, if i get a job i always check conservation areas and if its any thing of any size i check for TPO's If in doubt check it out! Never believe clients either. Also its not always the tree's you think will have a TPO on either, took a mankey old pine down last year with a TPO on, couldn't believe it was TPo'd

Check everything and anything.

Do not trust the word of the client as you can be prosecuted as well.

Familiarise yourself with the CA's by either looking on the LA's website or actual copies of plans.

No excuses.

It's not about size either. Not in this case anyway :001_tongue:

Always worth getting a good relationship going with your local, friendly TO :001_smile:

A quick call or 'mail will let you know if there are any Planning constraints and you'll also find out if your client has been totally up front with what they have told you.

Most LA's will also have something on their websites about where their CA's are.

If in doubt, CHECK. Otherwise, it could be your reputation and bank balance thats affected. Not good.

A company not a million miles away from us got done last year for cutting some TPO'd trees down on a building site without permission, it was around £5,000!

They fined the building company as well but not as much, as the 'professional' we will end up with the biggest of the fine if you do get caught doing something you shouldnt (dont completely agree with that tbh!)

Just last week had a guy come up to me asking "If I could whip a tree down for him" knowing it would be a bit dodgy (lots of TPO's + its a conservation area) I said I would come and give him a price but I cant do it today. His reply was "Are you err bothered if it has one of those orders on?"

replied "Well yes we could end up with a big fine and a nice black mark against our name with the LA so er no thanks"

Guy promptly stormed off!!

No doubt got the local Gypo to sort it out :sneaky2:

So if in doubt check, its just not worth it.

does anyone know the actual fines that you are likey to get if you work on a tpo?? cus i've heard several different figures from several different people, form £1,000 - £25,000

Those figures seem about right joe, its based on the aminety value of the said tree or so i believe, better ask someone like Tony sorenson as he is a tree officer but there is no set fine.