McDonalds Litter.

Mick Stockbridge

I have a dislike of a lot of large corporations, for the way they treat their suppliers, the way they treat their workers ...................................... a proper reply that I can back up my post with hard facts.

Mike

+1

Remember doing a gig yrs ago to raise funds for those two!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I rule the world my first act will be to make Muckdonalds illegal and if anyone wanted to blow up their places with dynamite they would get it free of charge! That's how much I hate them. BTW you could add coca cola and Disney and any other American corporation as well.

Mike

So what's wrong with the company? It's the people who drop the litter who are at fault! If you see a cigarette butt on the floor, do you blame the tobacco company? As for American corporations, I guess you only use stihl products, as Oregon make husky bars and chains, you couldn't possibly use a computer as both operating systems are American. In fact, I don't think you'd have much choice in anything if you took that approach.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If the rubbish is in the car why not leave it there till you get home and put it in the bin ? I can't understand the mentality of people who litter, are their houses like tips and do they think they are above other people who follow them round picking up after them ? They throw the litter anywhere not just out of the way places, the drink cartons with plastic tops and a giant straw are always blowing into our front yard.

I have a dislike of a lot of large corporations, for the way they treat their suppliers, the way they treat their workers on the ground level, for their brain-washing advertising, for the goods/services they supply and last but not least for the local taxes they don't pay.

The American corporations take a particularly aggressive stance to anyone who dares to criticise them, quite often to the point of critics being homeless and being made bankrupt.

The endless stories emanating from the US with regards to the largest company in the world, Walmart, are particularly shocking and having been going on for decades. Monsanto is another company who will stop at nothing in promoting their gm crop seeds. Is it right that they can be the only supplier of seeds in third world countries to poor farmers who grows his crop of rice or whatever but then has to buy more seed again every year due to the fact that any seed kept back to grow next year's crop will be sterile. These farmers don't have any choice where they buy their seed as there will only be one supplier in their area. These are people who are barely managing to keep themselves and their family alive from year to year. Last year there was a ninety minute documentary on the Discovery Channel on Monsanto and their likes, about how they treated people in the US and how they are all tied up with the politicians and the White House.

In 1995 there was the famous 'McLibel' trial. McDonalds sued two people, Helen Steel and David Morris, for libel after they criticized them. The trial lasted for 2 1/2 years and the two defendants were denied legal aid even though they were just two ordinary people. McDonalds tried every dirty tick in the book to win and the single Judge, Mr Justice Bell found them not guilty. In fact, the verdict was devastating for McDonalds.

" The judge ruled that they 'exploit children' with their advertising, produce 'misleading' advertising, are 'culpably responsible' for cruelty to animals, are 'antipathetic' to unionisation and pay their workers low wages. But Helen and Dave failed to prove all the points and so the Judge ruled that they HAD libelled McDonald's and should pay 60,000 pounds damages. They refused and McDonald's knew better than to pursue it. In March 1999 the Court of Appeal made further rulings that it was fair comment to say that McDonald's employees worldwide "do badly in terms of pay and conditions", and true that "if one eats enough McDonald's food, one's diet may well become high in fat etc., with the very real risk of heart disease."

You can read the full story on this website The McLibel Trial

To look behind the companies' public face, the one they want you to see, you can check the facts out here Corporate Watch : Homepage : Latest News from Corporate Watch and here CorpWatch*:*Index Reading Private Eye can also keep you informed about what they are up to. Some people call me cynical and negative, I like to think that I am well informed and don't accept advertising blurbs and press releases at face value.

There are many ways you can run a business and I realise that you have to make a profit to survive and develop and to make progress. Thank goodness that the majority of companies aren't run and promoted like some of these examples and others on the websites.

BTW I am not anti-American, Easy-Lift Guy, I have relatives in the US and there are many fine and honourable companies in the States, some of whom I do business with. There are plenty of UK companies who have a track record which is abysmal and continue to get away with it due to corrupt politicians and a corrupt system.

I have probably taken up too much space to reply but I feel that in order to give a proper reply that I can back up my post with hard facts.

Mike

The British side of McDonald's is run very different to the American side then as my brother works for cargills (sun valley) and they have very strict standards to abide by as do there suppliers of spuds and beef that are all supplied from local farms.

In Hereford the McDonald's have there own guys clearing up the litter in high town. You do see there rubbish in the country side but that's down to brain dead idiots throwing it out. If caught they should get 200hours community service litter picking that would solve that problem.

I am glad that there is a charity that house parents at all the major hospitals as when you arrive at a situation where your children are at risk it's a relief to be told you have a room as long as you want it and all the benefits that a hotel would provide we have been in there 86 days. I am lucky in that I can now afford to get a flat in the city some parents stop there two years.

Justice Bell found them not guilty.

Mike

Just re-read your post. The above is incorrect, the two were found guilty of libel, but...........it was certainly a moral victory for Anti-McDonalds activists

Opening Wiki paragraph...

McDonald's Corporation v Steel & Morris [1997] EWHC QB 366, known as "the McLibel case" was an English lawsuit for libel filed by McDonald's Corporation against environmental activists Helen Steel and David Morris (often referred to as "The McLibel Two") over a pamphlet critical of the company. Each of two hearings in English courts found some of the leaflet's contested claims to be libellous and others to be true. The partial nature of the victory, the David-and-Goliath nature of the case, and the drawn-out litigation embarrassed McDonald's.

I have a dislike of a lot of large corporations, for the way they treat their suppliers, the way they treat their workers on the ground level, for their brain-washing advertising, for the goods/services they supply and last but not least for the local taxes they don't pay.

The American corporations take a particularly aggressive stance to anyone who dares to criticise them, quite often to the point of critics being homeless and being made bankrupt.

The endless stories emanating from the US with regards to the largest company in the world, Walmart, are particularly shocking and having been going on for decades. Monsanto is another company who will stop at nothing in promoting their gm crop seeds. Is it right that they can be the only supplier of seeds in third world countries to poor farmers who grows his crop of rice or whatever but then has to buy more seed again every year due to the fact that any seed kept back to grow next year's crop will be sterile. These farmers don't have any choice where they buy their seed as there will only be one supplier in their area. These are people who are barely managing to keep themselves and their family alive from year to year. Last year there was a ninety minute documentary on the Discovery Channel on Monsanto and their likes, about how they treated people in the US and how they are all tied up with the politicians and the White House.

In 1995 there was the famous 'McLibel' trial. McDonalds sued two people, Helen Steel and David Morris, for libel after they criticized them. The trial lasted for 2 1/2 years and the two defendants were denied legal aid even though they were just two ordinary people. McDonalds tried every dirty tick in the book to win and the single Judge, Mr Justice Bell found them not guilty. In fact, the verdict was devastating for McDonalds.

" The judge ruled that they 'exploit children' with their advertising, produce 'misleading' advertising, are 'culpably responsible' for cruelty to animals, are 'antipathetic' to unionisation and pay their workers low wages. But Helen and Dave failed to prove all the points and so the Judge ruled that they HAD libelled McDonald's and should pay 60,000 pounds damages. They refused and McDonald's knew better than to pursue it. In March 1999 the Court of Appeal made further rulings that it was fair comment to say that McDonald's employees worldwide "do badly in terms of pay and conditions", and true that "if one eats enough McDonald's food, one's diet may well become high in fat etc., with the very real risk of heart disease."

You can read the full story on this website The McLibel Trial

To look behind the companies' public face, the one they want you to see, you can check the facts out here Corporate Watch : Homepage : Latest News from Corporate Watch and here CorpWatch*:*Index Reading Private Eye can also keep you informed about what they are up to. Some people call me cynical and negative, I like to think that I am well informed and don't accept advertising blurbs and press releases at face value.

There are many ways you can run a business and I realise that you have to make a profit to survive and develop and to make progress. Thank goodness that the majority of companies aren't run and promoted like some of these examples and others on the websites.

BTW I am not anti-American, Easy-Lift Guy, I have relatives in the US and there are many fine and honourable companies in the States, some of whom I do business with. There are plenty of UK companies who have a track record which is abysmal and continue to get away with it due to corrupt politicians and a corrupt system.

I have probably taken up too much space to reply but I feel that in order to give a proper reply that I can back up my post with hard facts.

Mike

Mike thank you for your reply. Just wondering if you have ever lived and or worked in the USA?. I have often tried to understand why people seeming hate the USA, yet are willing to give up everything for a chance to become a citizen of the same nation. People or citizens in nearly all western nations have one really important thing going for them selfs. They have a choice. Here in the USA I have many choices to make every day. One really important choice I exercise every day is the ability to use my brain to make informed decisions based on information I know to be true and reliable. I actually believe your opinions are very one sided and that you have a bias against American Corporations and perhaps through extension American made products and services. That is your choice. I like to treat people the way I would like to be treated.

Now I am not judging you. I honestly believe you believe what you have stated in your reply. Just try and keep an open mind and consider another side to your facts presented. Especially from a fellow member born and raised in the USA.

easy-lift guy

Sometimes get a toot from the cars when they throw it out as i'm doing a litter pick.

It's the half chewed stuff that is really annoying as it ends up falling out everywhere. I wouldn't rate their fries either as they are never finished. It's not just McD's from personal experience.

Sometimes it looks like they can't even grasp the concept of using their hands to eat the food.