Drivers - you need to read this

treebloke

FLASH FOR CRASH

You pull up at a junction coming on to a busy road. A kind motorist flashes

his car lights to let you out. You wave back and pull out in front of him. His

car promptly crashes into you, causing extensive damage to both cars and

the ‘kind motorist’ (as well as the other passengers in his car) also appears

to be complaining about a possible whiplash injury. Welcome to ‘flash for

crash’, the latest scam to impact the beleaguered British motorist.

It’s part of a growing family of motor insurance fraud tactics that includes the

‘cash for crash’ scam where fraudsters hit the brakes hard (sometimes removing

their brake lights too) in a bid to force an innocent driver to crash into them.

The Insurance Fraud Bureau calculates that it’s costing the insurance industry

nearly £400 million every year.

Always follow the Highway Code

Anyone driving for business or outside work can help ensure they don’t fall

victim to this crime by following the Highway Code, which states: ‘Never assume

that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed’.

Flashing should always be interpreted as 'I'm here' and treated as such! I failed my first driving test because I made a turn after somebody in the opposite direction flashed me, because I didn't wait for them to completely stop! (And no, it wasn't a near miss :P)

The other unfortunate side effect that affects anyone who has quite innocently been involved in a RTA without being found at fault.

Is the Insurance Industry now regards ANY incident or claim regardless of assigned liability as a "red flag"

i.e. The classic rear end shunt was ALWAYS taken to be the fault of the driver behind.

But those staging claims for cash will always be in the car in front.

Which stands the whole liability issue on its head.

This is the only mechanism they have to attempt to prevent repeated malicious claims.

All of which is why I bought myself and our daughter a "RoadHawk" for Christmas before past.

this Gizmo, as well as recording video footage, records GPS data, speeds and "G" forces.

Should be mandatory on all cars.

The other variation is the suspect vehicle is indicating left, but as you pull out from the side road they continue staright into your car. Remember a flashing indicator just proves the bulb is working!:001_smile:

Only now and again :biggrin: We had an incident a couple of years ago. A BMW came off the roundabout behind us, screamed past and slammed his brakes on feet in front of us. Luckily, we were "switched on" ie not nattering or on the phone or something, we were able to take evasive action and get around him. The car raced past us and took the next roundabout on the wrong side, obviously trying to avoid his plates being read or worse. It was obvious that he was trying to get us to rear-end him. :thumbdown:

As a Transport and Warehouse manager for the last ten years, and before that a qualified (Managers CPC holder) transport only manager, let me assist you all in how the law is set up.

A flash of the lights, is technically a warning. It should only be used as a warning, and if you are flashed you should treat it as a warning. If you pull out into the flow of traffic because someone flashed you, and there is a collision, YOU are at fault in the eyes of the law.

Rear end collisions are always the fault of the following car. Regardless of anything else... As the law see's it, if you crash into the rear of another car, you are by default, A, too close, and B, going too fast for the space available. Enough space should always be left to come to a halt safely before contacting another vehicle, and that goes for emergency stops as well as instant (crash) stops.

Hope that helps.

The other variation is the suspect vehicle is indicating left, but as you pull out from the side road they continue staright into your car. Remember a flashing indicator just proves the bulb is working!:001_smile:

It has been held to be Careless Driving to give a misleading signal. But proving it is another matter of course.