what chipper/van and why

marc laycock

Id set a modest budget and buy the best van chipper you can afford whilst still in employment or subbing and wait until you have enough work to go it alone full time. At the end of the day ive made good money with a l200 and a tranny tipper and a camon 250.
I sub for a few people (I am in the great position of not having to work if I don't want to pension is awesome) I just need to work to keep my head ticking over, I want a reasonable set up (van/chipper) and if I am lucky enough to get a lot of work that's fine if I get enough to tick over that's fine too

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your just having a play at lumberjack and want to be able to go to work, park in the town or chuck it and go a little drive after or even a spot of fishing.

Get a Luton and a microchipper .

I keep my mountain bike and golf clubs in mine through the summer .

And keep the other £13k in the bank

If your just having a play at lumberjack and want to be able to go to work, park in the town or chuck it and go a little drive after or even a spot of fishing.

Get a Luton and a microchipper .

I keep my mountain bike and golf clubs in mine through the summer .

And keep the other £13k in the bank

I don't want to "just play lumberjack" everything I do I put 100% into,what I was trying to say is that I am in a position where if the work slowed down it would not cause me an issue. I am ex forces and the reason my pension is so good is because I have complex PTSD so working keeps me on line I NEED to be busy

Ive thought about this alot if i returned to the uk, if staying under 7.5 tonne, this for the truck, add high sides, handles weight well, not much bigger than a transit, but more volume capacity and more weight legally (3tonne iirc)

2006 Iveco/ Seddon Eurocargo 130942mi 3920cc | eBay

towing something like this (used its smaller brother, which punched well above its weight, vari trac system is brilliant)

USED Wood Chippers, GREEN-MECH 19-28 offered for sale £12900.00

or 7-9" jensen/schliesling. chosen for build quality. no point in having a 5-6"chipper if you're licence allows you to tow bigger imo

Ive thought about this alot if i returned to the uk, if staying under 7.5 tonne, this for the truck, add high sides, handles weight well, not much bigger than a transit, but more volume capacity and more weight legally (3tonne iirc)

towing something like this (used its smaller brother, which punched well above its weight, vari trac system is brilliant)

or 7-9" jensen/schliesling. chosen for build quality. no point in having a 5-6"chipper if you're licence allows you to tow bigger imo

Trouble with that is the MAM of the combination is something like 9.5 tonne and would require HGV C+E as well as operator's licence and tachograph.

A transit and the chipper still needs the tachograph if you exceed 50km from base but not necessarily the Operator's licence and you only need add the trailer test to your B licence.

Mind overall if I were a young man with post 1997 licence I think a couple of grand and a few days for the C+E licence would be a worthwhile investment.

Cheers Josh like the look of the truck.

Trouble with that is the MAM of the combination is something like 9.5 tonne and would require HGV C+E as well as operator's licence and tachograph.

A transit and the chipper still needs the tachograph if you exceed 50km from base but not necessarily the Operator's licence and you only need add the trailer test to your B licence.

Mind overall if I were a young man with post 1997 licence I think a couple of grand and a few days for the C+E licence would be a worthwhile investment.

I am a young man(ish) LOL and have my HGV which is current till I hit 55 and have to have the medical again.

Make the jump, you won't look back! I did and it was the best decision ever!

Anyway I just wanted to make another point. Depending on the scale of what you are doing it may be worth looking at the smaller chippers like the timberwolf 125 or greenmech 130. You need to consider your business plan and costings for monthly repayments. If you have this money available in a lump sum it is better (in my experience) to NOT pay out in one lump and instead spread the cost. This way you will have capital for other stuff (such as a box structure on the truck once you have it) and also give you a fall back when work is lean.

If you, like me, plan to do other stuff other than just tree surgery then look at a smaller chipper - the greenmech i mentioned above is featured here in this short video I did of ours, keep meaning to do more but never have the time!

J

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYcbYEWuLO0]GreenMech Arborist 130 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice chipper!! How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking??

but like the OP i have my HGV, the O-licence isnt as much trouble as people make out.

trouble with a transit is once the tippers a foot deep in chip, its overloaded, IMO, if creating an ideal setup from scratch, a transits not ideal

:001_smile: