Log burners, questions etc

swinny

HI MULL as stubby SAID better with larger stove on a old house i was told a 8/10KW stove will our room but it does not run it so i got a euro heat 16kw stove:thumbup1: thats nice I DO NOT USE THE GAS:thumbdown: SO THEN I CAN BUY A NEW SAW EACH YEAR WITH MY GAS SAVING:thumbup1: THANKS JON :thumbup:

A new saw each year Jon? Sounds good!

I tend to find the most heat I get out of wood is before it gets anywhere near the stove!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to jump in on this thread,

at the moment we have open fire, in rented property, whats the set up with fitting a burner H&S etc, cert's etc ..would not want to leave it as and when we ever move

fire place 22h x 8d x 17w inch but have 12 "hearth

would be just for warmth, not water, rad's, boiler etc

because being in rented, did wonder purely because there small in size about the Machine mart type stuff :blushing:. fully understand you get what you pay for. & did see the keep away from type message further up the post

but main concern is the fitting

oh ye was I told correct info few yrs ago

open fire 25% warms room 75% heat wasted up chimmey

log burner 75% warms room/s and yes 25% up chimmey ?????

thanks

As far as installation goes:

You are perfectly okay to install a stove yourself - don't believe any fitter or stove shop who tells you that legally they have to be installed by a HETAS registered fitter. The important things are that 1) the installation complies with Part J of the Building regs - you can download this off the net for free, and 2) if you are installing it yourself - it has to be signed off by the building control department at the local council - there will be a fee charged for this - but you'll be covered in the event of any problems or insurance issues down the line. A HETAS fitter is qualified to sign off his own work - and should be up to speed with the regs - not all of them are it has to be said!

A stove will always be more responsive when fitted to a liner. The use of a liner also rules out a number of potential problems later on, such as tar creeping through walls - usually in upstairs rooms. If you're installing into an open chimney - you'll need to make sure you have access plates in the register plate above the stove. If you need to remove the stove to sweep the chimney - you won't meet building regs.

Machine Mart stoves are garbage. End of. I have it on good authority that these stoves cost the importer about £40 a chuck. They don't seal right, they're pretty much impossible to control properly, the glass mucks up, and they generally use way more fuel than a decent stove - so cancelling out the saving you made buying one. A poor quality stove isn't a pleasant thing to live with. It's pretty accurate to say that with stoves - you get what you pay for. If you're on a tight budget, then you'd probably be better getting a decent stove second hand than a crap one new.

Most of the makes mentioned in this thread are pretty good. A lot of the Hunters are pretty dated designs, as are Yeoman and Villager. Clearview are almost universally well thought of, as are Morso, Dunsley, Woodwarm and Burley. There are very good stoves available in steel and cast iron - one isn't better than the other. Of the Chinese imports - Firefox are one of the better ones - and spares for these are no problem - unlike many of the others which end up being sold under multiple brand names.

Stoves are way more efficient than open fires - some modern ones are approaching 90% efficiency. I have tons of customers who say that having a stove in is one of the best things they've ever done - twice the heat from half the fuel sort of thing.

Tucky

What was up with your Dunsley. We have a Dunsley Yorkshire boiler running 11 radiators in this old listed farmhouse and it is brilliant. Also the Dunsley is approved for use in a smoke controlled area which was an added factor which we had to take into consideration

+1:thumbup:

Check the reviews on the What Stove website

Charnwood C4. LOVE IT.

8210912118_5ed2d9c6bd_c.jpg

Used to live in a place that had one of those installed, great output of kit for its size, would rate it higher than the morso squirrel for controllability.

Only stove that I have lived with that I didn't rate was a villager Chelsea, serious pile of dog do. Virtually uncontrollable due to not having a seal between the 2 doors, couldn't see anything wrong with it just a bad design.

Edit: The villager was still 100 times better than having an open fire!