ecology reports

thtc

Hope somebody can help. I have been asked by a client to price up a large amount of work on his small woodland. Its in a conservation area and basicly involves removing anything dangerous and thinning out. I had a tree conservation officer out and I have been told to put an ecology report together... It has not been specified as to exactly what it needs to contain (bats, species, diversity, flora) I have just been told to right a report. has anyone any idea where I should start?

cheers all

Still not getting this:confused1:

Conservation area means a "211" notification. He cant "tell" you anything. A "211" is a notification of intent so you are the one doing the telling.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money for old rope really , how many ecologists are going to stop a project. If they do the next time the contractor gets a different one in .I have seen this happen.

Unless it's a public sector project! There was a bypass locally few years back. The ecology report required a "bat bridge" and a stone built, slate roof "bat house" (30k for the house alone!)

Guess how many bats moved in and how many use the bridge??

According to an eminent / licensed bat geek who did a "bat awareness for arborists" briefing for us......

Big fat zero! And he stated (unofficially) it was a total red herring!

Sounds like you need a phase 1 habitat survey. Bear in mind that the the ecologist's industry body is now chartered (Chartered Institute for Ecology and Envirnonmental Management) so it's worth making sure that the ecoloigist you're using is chartered in order to easily pass muster with the LA.

Given that you're asking them to look at a woodland, maybe look for someone with particular expereince with bats, ideally as licence holder.

Lastly if you're concerned about the qulaity of the work, ask to see an example of their work for a similar site and brief and ask for a firm quotation and set a clear deadline. A competent ecologist probably wouldn't mind providing references, too which might forewarn you about over-zealous and costly specifications. What you want is a thorough but pragmatic person, in my experience.

A section 211 notice is all that is required to give notice to the council that you want to carry out works to trees within a CA and the council may, if they see fit, serve a TPO. The issue here though is about protected species and protected habitats. If on your mission to remove trees, you happen to disturb a bat roost or a bat, you will be committing a criminal offence.

The council has asked for an eco report. No doubt the council specifically requires a Preliminary Ecological Assessment report (PEA) previously known as a phase 1 survey (see my previous comment). If there is no potential for bats or other protected species, then there can be no reason to stop you from felling trees unless it is expedient to serve a TPO but if the PEA identifies the potential for bats (or any other protected species) then you will be required to carry out a bat roost assessment and possibly other assessments as well. If bats are found and the need to fell trees is still there and the council hasn't served a TPO, you will require mitigation to safely move the bats.

It may seem a pain for some (especially after reading some of the comments on here where it appears that bats are no more than a nuisanace) but that is the law and you would be wise to obey the law. Ecologist are not the enemy and to think of them as such is to miss the point but remember, they are also constrained by the law and have to follow strict guidelines.