Change in online policy at Stihl?

ThrustSSC

Spoken like a true believer! Keep paying the Jobs Tax, my friend... :-) Nice kit Apple make, but the profit margin is better even than a certain kiln-dried log suppliers'! ;-)

Hi

From my perspective:

When you rely on your computer to make a living as I do, you use the best, price become a lot less relevant. If Microsoft was any good, Id use it, but it isnt its too problematical, insecure & becomes very expensive when you have to faff around endlessy trawling forums to discover some update has rendered an important program useless, as opposed to making money.

Long term Apple becomes a lot less expensive, my Mac Pro is 8 soon and runs like a dream.

However, I must admit to have earned a reasonable living out of all this but Id be somewhat poor if everyone used Apple as Ive only fixed one in over 15 years!

:001_smile:

All the best & that said, I really do hope Windows 9/Threshold works out for MS as the future looks a lot brighter post Ballmer/Sinofsky.

N

Edited by NFG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my Mac Pro is 8 soon and runs like a dream.

I also have a Mac pro, and its as quick now as the day i got it 4 years ago. Kinda disappointing in a way, as there's nothing better than turning on a brand new computer for the first time...unfortunately I just don't need a new one for the foreseeable!! :001_smile:

Hi

From my perspective:

When you rely on your computer to make a living as I do, you use the best, price become a lot less relevant. If Microsoft was any good, Id use it, but it isnt its too problematical, insecure & becomes very expensive when you have to faff around endlessy trawling forums to discover some update has rendered an important program useless, as opposed to making money.

Long term Apple becomes a lot less expensive, my Mac Pro is 8 soon and runs like a dream.

However, I must admit to have earned a reasonable living out of all this but Id be somewhat poor if everyone used Apple as Ive only fixed one in over 15 years!

:001_smile:

All the best & that said, I really do hope Windows 9/Threshold works out for MS as the future looks a lot brighter post Ballmer/Sinofsky.

N

And looking from an alternative perspective, I have a Surface and it's rock solid and lightning-fast. It costs a fraction of the Apple stuff, especially when I don't have to buy an iPad as well to get tablet functionality.

That said, I can see where you're coming from if your Mac Pro is 8 years old. Those views had some validity 8 years ago - but not now, IMHO. Windows 7 and 8 have both been superb for me, as have recent versions of Office. And 8 years ago you were comparing to XP...

But you may have a point on the new era at MS.

Still, this makes a change from the usual Stihl vs. Husky threads, eh?! :-D

I also have a Mac pro, and its as quick now as the day i got it 4 years ago. Kinda disappointing in a way, as there's nothing better than turning on a brand new computer for the first time...unfortunately I just don't need a new one for the foreseeable!! :001_smile:

HI STEVE your right i have a pro to mate worth the money :thumbup:thanks steve keep up the good work mate jon :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It should last for a good bit yet, I hate to see stuff junked because its old, they used to use G4s when I was at BVHE Walt Disney for video editing, I thought there were only half a dozen on the network as so few calls, but there was over 70!

I added a WD Velociraptor in it for boot disc WD1000DHTZ is backpane compatible to my 2006 Mac Pro, use carbon copy cloner to create copy of old boot disk along with 16Gb ram & it absolutely flies.

I use these WD raptor & velociraptor disks in small servers & for raid arrays & they run for years.

N