How long does mixed fuel last?

Woodworks

Having had a think about all this I am not going to worry too much. I have been doing my fuel the same way for 15 years and a had no serious engine faults with any of my 2 stroke machines and use far more fuel these days than a few years back so not going to loose sleep over this.

As for Aspen I use it in the hedge trimmer which gets left on the shelf for months on end but the cost V the risks to machinery don't stack up for the larger saws. Did a job the other day clearing a poplar and used 5 liters in no time on a job that I have charged £120 so if I had used Aspen that's at least 10% of my earnings down the drain.

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having had a think about all this I am not going to worry too much. I have been doing my fuel the same way for 15 years and a had no serious engine faults with any of my 2 stroke machines and use far more fuel these days than a few years back so not going to loose sleep over this.

As for Aspen I use it in the hedge trimmer which gets left on the shelf for months on end but the cost V the risks to machinery don't stack up for the larger saws. Did a job the other day clearing a poplar and used 5 liters in no time on a job that I have charged £120 so if I had used Aspen that's at least 10% of my earnings down the drain.

Hi woodworks,

I just ask that people try Aspen for themselves.

Yes it is more money but add in the down time and the fact the pump fuels have changed and will continue to do so.

Kind regards

Eddie

Just out of interest what saws are you running with?

I have a Stihl 024, badly maintained, probably had some really bad fuel put in it but yet it still runs fine, we don't use it day in day out but it has lasted for at least 20 years

Isn't the bigger picture also the exhaust fumes that you breathe in while using 2 strokes.

I thought I saw some info suggesting that aspen has less harmful emissions. Maybe more relevant if you are milling more than cutting but worth considering.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Aspen is 99% cleaner than pump fuel.

Pump fuel contains over 100 ingredients Aspen only has 10

Pump fuel is classed as TOXIC

Aspen is only Harmful.

Please see our website for the full emissions facts.

Anyone can contact me direct on 07568 108953 or email [email protected]

Kind regards.

Eddie

Just out of interest what saws are you running with?

I have a Stihl 024, badly maintained, probably had some really bad fuel put in it but yet it still runs fine, we don't use it day in day out but it has lasted for at least 20 years

Main saws are a 346 XP and MS 460 also have a 340 for a bit of hedge laying and I am running this on Aspen as it sits about without work for long periods.

Pump fuel contains over 100 ingredients Aspen only has 10

Can anyone tell me what the 100 ingredients of unleaded petrol are please.

Obviously there is no lead:biggrin:

I know there are various additives such as carcinogenic benzene, but are 98 of the ingredients just slightly different fractions from the distillation of the crude oil.

I wish Aspen was only £10 per gallon, then we could all use it, without query.

Is there fuel duty on Aspen? At the moment petrol duty is 58p/litre.

If Aspen has no duty included in the price, then it is very expensive.

If it has 58p/litre duty, then we should lobby the European parliament for the removal of duty on alkylate petrol ready mixed 2 stroke fuel for chainsaw use.

If it is that green how can they argue to point.

Worth a thought perhaps

H-A

Can anyone tell me what the 100 ingredients of unleaded petrol are please.

Obviously there is no lead:biggrin:

I know there are various additives such as carcinogenic benzene, but are 98 of the ingredients just slightly different fractions from the distillation of the crude oil.

I wish Aspen was only £10 per gallon, then we could all use it, without query.

Is there fuel duty on Aspen? At the moment petrol duty is 58p/litre.

If Aspen has no duty included in the price, then it is very expensive.

If it has 58p/litre duty, then we should lobby the European parliament for the removal of duty on alkylate petrol ready mixed 2 stroke fuel for chainsaw use.

If it is that green how can they argue to point.

Worth a thought perhaps

H-A

Actually there is lead in there, hence the name 'unleaded' rather than 'lead-free'. It comes from the feedstock in trace quantities.

The rest of it is fractions from the crude, plus complex fractions from the cracking, etc. It's a horrendous cocktail, and don't even get me started on MTBE additives, etc.

Worth noting, too, that premium unleaded is no better - in fact often the octane booster is ethanol. i.e. it can be even worse for your kit.

Worth noting, too, that premium unleaded is no better - in fact often the octane booster is ethanol. i.e. it can be even worse for your kit.

British Petroleum say

"BP ULTIMATE OCTANE 98 minimum

BP Ultimate is the highest octane retail fuel that BP has on the market. It has an octane rating between 98 and 100 and does not contain ethanol."

That is what I use.

H-A