Dangerous pops

Mark Bolam

You know them then?!!!!

Rob asked me to give him a couple of days, said something about some pops, didn't mention anything about them being dodgy, I couldn't fit them in so did not go and see them.

Are they that bad???? What ya gonna do??? Will you climb them???

As you get older you do indeed get wiser, those things you never used to blink an eye at somehow seem much more important now!!!!!!! It's called self-preservation

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the only real question would be "do i really need the work?" If the answer is yeas then do it, if not insist on a mewp. Dont worry about hurting anyones feelings, as that will seem a small concern when you are lying in a hospital bed......I know its difficult if you sub for a guy alot, but the flip side is that if you have a long term working relationship with the guy then he wont or shouldn't be offended by your refusal to risk life and limb and livelihood...............i think!

Price before safety of staff.......typical, all the legislation to protect the workforce, all the paperwork...worthless bumpf. If you are now an experienced climber, and feel its a (potentially) dangerous job, you make the call. Listen to the nagging doubt inside your head, thats what keeps you alive.

If you sub for him a bit and he's been around a time, I would have thought he would have taken the climber he had in mind to see the job and worked out the method with you and then priced accordingly. If he has put a price in that doesn't cover crane/platform then it's his problem, let him do it. IMO

Have already said no.

You know what it's like, some are more dodgy than others. Would have been more helpful if he'd asked me to look at it with him on an individual tree basis.

He does climb, but has gone wobbly on one of these pops before, and I had to finish it with less than 6 months experience. Caking myself.

He doesn't seem to understand he would make MORE money with a MEWP or crane in, and the job would be a lot safer.

Have a look if you get the chance Wellwell. Would like to know what you think.

He doesn't seem to understand he would make MORE money with a MEWP or crane in, and the job would be a lot safer.

If thats the cases just give him a price per tree or for getting them all on the deck (leaving him the clear up) and hire in the MEWP yourself, if a MEWP is going to make money on the job, make it yourself :001_smile:

That's thinking outside the box Dave, and I like it.

Reckon I could deck 3-6 a day with the right machine.

I know what you think of MEWP's, and don't use them a lot myself.

MEWP/crane combo and you'd be flying.

Problem is the owners of this park are tight as, so want to mince about doing odd trees here and there when caravan owners whining gets really bad, instead of getting some big plant in and sorting the whole lot.