Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Hi spud.

Hope all is good with you

I hope you Can help me out.

I have three ms200t and an ms880 that need a tune up carb fix and service. I work all over, so can drop off when in your area.

Thanks Geoffers

Life is great....apart from my fellow colour blind Arbtalk comrades:001_rolleyes:

Not a problem doing that, just let me know when suits:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Evening guys, recently got a 372xpg (pre xt) cosmetically looks a bit rough but starts runs and cuts nice! Reading up on various mods and definitely want to change the muffler a bit, also read that I can drop out the head gasket too? My query is that should i do that would it have any adverse affects with the timing etc? Any other things I could do my self to give it a bit more go? I will not be doing any porting myself after upsetting my 064 a couple of years ago.....

Evening guys, recently got a 372xpg (pre xt) cosmetically looks a bit rough but starts runs and cuts nice! Reading up on various mods and definitely want to change the muffler a bit, also read that I can drop out the head gasket too? My query is that should i do that would it have any adverse affects with the timing etc? Any other things I could do my self to give it a bit more go? I will not be doing any porting myself after upsetting my 064 a couple of years ago.....

The cylinder in the pic is a 372XP. Dropping the BASE gasket (there is no head gasket) is fine as long as you clean up the squish band and piston crown. It will change the port durations but the torque gain will be worth it and won't adversely effect performance.

There is a lot to do in there - see how much I ground out of this cylinder and understand that this was around 2/3rds of the volume of filings!

Porting can be relatively simple if you adhere to the rules and recognise the restrictions. It is just knowing what they are!

Thanks for the reply spud, clean up squish and crown as in remove any carbon deposits? From what I have read.. regardless of how many people have done this mod, I should still double check the squish with the solder through plug hole method?

Yes and yes, what happened to the 064? My guess is the ports free ported after they were widened too much!

I stayed within the 2mm for the piston skirt, I'm guessing I didn't bevel the port edge well enough, ring snagged and completely wrote off the my genuine cylinder, was a sad day and I did throw my toys out of the pram.

And i refuse to ever use a dremel on a cylinder ever again.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...