Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

On the issue of modded saws and insurance.

Chainsaw manufacturers, just like all other industries carry massive insurance against product liability and are happy to stand by their equipment in the form that they supplied it, or with approved mods such as optional bar lengths and different chain types.

But in the event that the proverbial stuff hits the fan and an injury was sustained from a chainsaw accident the saw may well end up back at the manufacturer for assessment and you can bet your bottom dollar that they will pick up on any mods and back out of any liability. The injured persons own insurance will follow their lead, leaving liability with the person carrying out the mods.

With this in mind most dealers will not fit anything other than genuine parts to machines and not attempt to 'make do and mend'. Its just not worth the risk for a few quid profit.

Fitting genuine parts and not straying from manufacturers spec gives us a sound 'paper trail'

Just saying, from a dealer perspective.

• Like 1

Thanks spud, I've never heard of an 880 ported or modded either.

My 261 & 661 are both mtronic, and my 461 is only two weeks old.

I run all my work saws on motomix/aspen now.

Is a 461 any good for porting? Or do I have to buy another saw just to port?

[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The chainsaw guy done one for August huniky it's on YouTube

I think he has run for cover. Porting suits some and not others. The guys that really like it are forestry guys who cut tonnes of timber per day and get paid on volume.

The climbers like the fact they can do more of a reduction and not resort to a larger saw.

Then there are the lads who just want a faster saw!

I always point out that the saws should be for personal use and not for employees.

A few yeas back we were coppicing Hazel . I had my Spud ported 346 and my mate had his standard one . We stopped for a break . When we started again my mate picked up my saw inadvertently and I took his with out realizing . After I fired it up I thought there must be something wrong with it . Took me a second or so to twig . It was like night and day between the two .