Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

I had the chance to run the ported Makita 7901 against the Dolmar 7910, there was a marked difference, we think there was a difference before. I wondered how much of this is down to the porting and how much is down to the different coil and stuff on the newer Dolmar.

What were you able to do to the Makita? I'd like the same done to the dolly if possible. I am wondering if the Makita is now running the same coil with the limiter anyway as we couldn't

Source the original type. If it is running the limited coil then the porting has made a big difference.

I'll ask Shavey about the other coil...

Glad it is performing well, the limiter wont make a difference as the saw wont hit the revs where the limiter kicks in when in the wood. If both coils have different advance ramp ups then that could make a difference.

I dropped the base gasket, drilled the muffler baffle and widened the exhaust port. Nothing too radical as it was an uncharged mod but worth doing at the time.

If I do the Dolmar then I will do more to it:thumbup:

Glad it is performing well, the limiter wont make a difference as the saw wont hit the revs where the limiter kicks in when in the wood. If both coils have different advance ramp ups then that could make a difference.

I dropped the base gasket, drilled the muffler baffle and widened the exhaust port. Nothing too radical as it was an uncharged mod but worth doing at the time.

If I do the Dolmar then I will do more to it:thumbup:

That sounds great news spud going to. Town on the 7910 :thumbup::thumbup:

The flywheel and coil on both of toms saws are identical both are OEM 12,500 coils

I've been meaning to send up a 7910 to you spud but they down seem too hang around long enough cheers:thumbup::thumbup:

I had the chance to run the ported Makita 7901 against the Dolmar 7910, there was a marked difference, we think there was a difference before. I wondered how much of this is down to the porting and how much is down to the different coil and stuff on the newer Dolmar.

What were you able to do to the Makita? I'd like the same done to the dolly if possible. I am wondering if the Makita is now running the same coil with the limiter anyway as we couldn't

Source the original type. If it is running the limited coil then the porting has made a big difference.

I'll ask Shavey about the other coil...

Great stuff Tom it's good too compare these saws too get that comparison :thumbup::thumbup:

That's the trouble with porting saws, it makes the stock saws seem lacklustre..

I'll get Finn to send it down spud.

You are right about that, it is obsessive:001_rolleyes::lol: even got my blower ported:thumbup:

If you send anything in, make it after the first week in June! Thanks.

That's the trouble with porting saws, it makes the stock saws seem lacklustre..

I'll get Finn to send it down spud.

Was coppicing some Hazel with my mate , both using 346XP saws . We stopped for a break . When we stated again my mate picked up my saw ( spud ported ) and I picked up his . I thought there was something wrong with the saw I had until I realised what happened .

Edited by Stubby

Running a husky 61 at the moment, any point doing much to it?

Probably not if you are asking me to do it as the costs involved, although not that high, would make it more than the saw is worth and unlikely to get the earnings out of it to pay back but if you want a go yourself............:thumbup:

Just don't assume porting is all about getting a dremmel and waving it about in the port opening a bit, read up about the subject and learn what the limiting factors are and make sure those port edges are bevelled well.

It's my biggest saw at the moment, on a 20" bar but looking to pick up a 372 or 576 and run it with a 24" bar. I know very little about modifying gear, any website/YouTube's recommendations?

This thread and also Arboristsite are good starting points!