Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Isn't that what you do when you cut a hedge though?

I tend to blip the throttle to avoid the cut out but I agree most people seem to run them flat out. I tried to demonstrate my technique to some railway deveg workers but they just looked at me like I was a madman.

From a pollution point of view unless the engine has a catalytic converter, all the time the rev limiter kills the spark unburned fuel mix just gets vented to atmosphere.

I don't know the significance to the environment but it sure blocks up spark arresters, and no I don't remove them because they make the machine noisier in an urban environment and night works do offend occupants of houses adjacent to the railway. I heard of one chap who came off shift to find his car had been pelted with eggs.

Hi guys, is it worth porting and working the engine on a 395xp?

I live in Australia and cut 99.9% iron bark hard wood.

Firewood and split posts mostly.

I am running a 20" bar and chain with an 8 pin rim drive.

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, is it worth porting and working the engine on a 395xp?

I live in Australia and cut 99.9% iron bark hard wood.

Firewood and split posts mostly.

I am running a 20" bar and chain with an 8 pin rim drive.

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes . :001_smile:

Yes . :001_smile:

Eloquent as ever Andy:lol:

They port well, the exhaust port and inlet port can be widened, the lowers fattened and flowed, the uppers a little. The exhaust needs opening up a fair bit and worth loking at around 5 drgrees ignition advance - that should do it:thumbup: but whay do I know:sneaky2::lol:

• 1 month later...

Been porting a local guys 395XP, nice saw! Husqvarna did a good job in port width, not a great load to do in this area but you can make improvements by shaping the inlet and exhaust ports, lots to be done on the lower transfers and the uppers.

The ignition is advanced, the base gasket dropped and increases the compression by at least 20psi and then the muffler mod. This one looks pretty nice IMO, just needs a run up and tach tune now:thumbup:

59766f2c6d67f_395XPmufflerMod.jpg.0d4aa85b2a06eff9958716c8ab88277e.jpg

Been porting a local guys 395XP, nice saw! Husqvarna did a good job in port width, not a great load to do in this area but you can make improvements by shaping the inlet and exhaust ports, lots to be done on the lower transfers and the uppers.

The ignition is advanced, the base gasket dropped and increases the compression by at least 20psi and then the muffler mod. This one looks pretty nice IMO, just needs a run up and tach tune now:thumbup:

Hi STEVE here one for you would a ported good 660 out pull a 395xp ported thanks Jon

Hi STEVE here one for you would a ported good 660 out pull a 395xp ported thanks Jon

No Idea but in theory they should be close. I know someone that has used a 395XP ported by me, a 385XP with the same and has an MS660 and he rates the 395XP above all!

Just ported his 064 as below, thought I may have over cooked the inlet duration but ended up with 75 degrees, 79 degrees on exhaust and 18 degrees of blow-down so pretty much spot on and fired it up on the same carb settings as it was and it is mega rich so know it has had the right effect and just needs a good run up and carb tune!

59766f396ca83_064Porting.jpg.3ebb5ddbf407ff10295b71eb859369a6.jpg