Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Is that your mod on the 395 exhaust Steve?? I found after you did the timing mod that really gave it a kick to get the best out the port work.

Yes, this has the baffles drilled, a secondary outlet plus the ignition mod, piston tuning and porting that yours did.:thumbup:

I had a 039 that I had in before that was partially seized and a stuck carb needle valve.

It was reported that the saw had failed again but the piston looked clean and the needle was worn but OK. Swapped the needle out and the saw was set up and ran but the idle was up and down, very fidgety and then just stops.

After a frustrating time messing with the carb, I fired it up, got it on idle and sprayed penetrating oil on the side of the carb and the saw died immediately, repeated on the other side and the same so the conclusion is the carb throttle valve shaft has worn and is letting in air messing with the idle.

New Zama carb on order and will sort this issue.

Other than that, had a Husky 41 in with no top end revs, just bogging, simple carb adjust and bingo but then on testing, it was a bag of........!

The idle races and dies, top end revs high and then bogging.

Pressure and vac tested - big leaks around the inlet manifold so new parts on order - I hate these little home owner saws, you do the work but how can you charge the going rate when it will write off this pensioners pride and joy:001_rolleyes:

Looks like another time consuming loss maker:thumbdown:

Been looking at increasing the performance of a small 33cc Tanaka TCS3301 top handle in an economical way.

The muffler came off, saw it was pretty chocked so managed to open up the can to find......a CAT:thumbdown: Removed it, took out the strengthening pillars, bonded them in place and reassembled the can.

The lower picture shows the rebuilt "Cut and Shut" can and the removed CAT!

Also gave the saw a bit of ignition advance and it goes pretty well now. It halves the modification bill and will give a significant increase in power.

after.jpg.06844134e86053e3d11f4b7d8f5dcb3e.jpg

Before.jpg.943cf13eea987b3aac4c4728b74771cf.jpg

cant wait into its back to try it up as to be fair the saw was poo on performance wise but it was cheap £210 new but to me it seemed lacking in revs slow in the cut its only going to be used as a back up saw and for Conny bashing will put a report back in when its back and try it out

Right guys n gals. I've got a 455 rancher x torque and just wondering if anyone has ever modded one and if so what did you do and was it worth the hassle. It is running like a pig at the moment so just wondered if there was any point in a mod. 😉 👍

Right guys n gals. I've got a 455 rancher x torque and just wondering if anyone has ever modded one and if so what did you do and was it worth the hassle. It is running like a pig at the moment so just wondered if there was any point in a mod. 😉 👍

Not done one to date, usually a muffler mod will get more out of it for not much outlay but get the saw running right first as porting doesn't make a poorly saw good, it enhances a well running saw to make the most of it.

• 1 month later...

It is nice when you get customer feedback:thumbup: I ported a 346XP and 372Xp for a fella in the south and when the 346XP is described as "really Snappy" and "a joy to use" then after using the 372 you get....."I thought the 346 was good...." and "The 372 is an animal" I feel happy that my work is being appreciated.

I don't do a massive amount of cutting myself and rely on the owners reaction to tell me I am doing good, some saws I have timed in the cut such as the 357 and 560 but it is something I cant do that often so this feedback is nice:thumbup:

Any feedback on one of your ported 357s v a 560 ? . You got my pms on the 357 and the 460 you did for me ? . That 357 is heading on 14 months of almost solid use , just seems to be my favourite saw and comfortably my most efficient , not to mention the sound is just so cool and distinctive .

The 460 is a seriously strong saw too and literally unstoppable on 20 inch bar , its a perfect medium hardwood firewood saw .

Put it this way ive a 261 hasnt put 50 tanks through it from new and a 661 hasnt put 40 through from new cos your saws are first choice .