New Desktop PC. What Software?

Gnarlyoak

So the time has finally come to replace the old (v old pentium running XP) PC system. I've nailed down, more or less, the hardware spec, but still undecisive about the software as the latest flavours from MS means you are more or less forced to be their "bitch" right from the get go!

I'm not a heavy PC user, mainly invoicing/accounts (Word/Excel) using MSO XP Pro., Web browsing, and a bit of gaming now & then.

After doing a bit of research I find that the latest versions of MS Windows (8.1) and MS Office (2013), quite literally force you to create an account with MS to be able to use or even download their s/w! Now whilst I appreciate the Windows OS is a necessary evil, for compatability with pre existing s/w & h/w which is already Windows compliant, I do object to being forced to create an account with MS simply to be able to use the software! The latest version of Office does not even come with the s/w on CD-Rom, you buy a licence, which has to be renewed by subscription every year, and then download it from the web. Windows 8 does not get many positive reviews, being as it it primarily designed for mobile and touch screen devices and not desktops, and it too forces you to register with and sign onto a MS network before you can even use the PC standalone!!! WTF!!!

So whilst I will buying some bang upto date h/w, I'm considering matching this up with earlier versions of s/w. Win 7.1 and MSO 2010, so that I can retain my autonomy from the all seeing eye of the MS network.

Anybody else upgraded recently? I know the h/w I'm considering is backwards compatable with the older versions of s/w, but just how bad is Win 8.1 for desktops, and just how big brother-ish the pre-requisite to have an MS account.

Also is MSO even necessary? Open Office seems like it might be a better alternative. I've read that existing MSO files are compatable with this. I really only need word processing and a spreadsheet facility. Anyone else switched from MSO to OO. Any problems or issue you'd care to share.

Your thoughts & experiences appreciated ladies & germs.

Many thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be hard pushed to fund a new copy of 'Office 2010 or Win7'. You might be forced to buy Win8, even if you don't want to. You can run Win8 without the touch screen but it defaults to this input. As to 'Office 2010', you might get a secondhand copy somewhere; just make sure you get the product code at the same time. As MS won't recognise it without its code.

You could try 'OpenOffice' and It's free. The downside, is MS Office doesn't recognise it. Gone are the days I fear, of being able to buy software off the shelf and remain unknown to big brother.

I've used Ubuntu (Linux) on my computer for many years, and find it much preferable to Windows. Have used Windows 8 a couple of times, and my initial impression was truly awful, everything you think you know about Windows has changed.

For basic web browsing and office use, I'd suggest you give Ubuntu a go - you can install it alongside Windows, and choose which one you want to use when you turn computer on. Or, try it on your old desktop before you throw it away.

hope this helps!

If you recycling your old PC, remember to retrieve all you want, then trash the HD. Start by reformatting the whole drive, then remove it from the case and physically destroy it. I've found a lump hammer or similar to be a good option. If the actual disc can't be spun, it can't be read. Putting a good bend or S-bend will do it. Takes quite a bit to bend them.

I've used Ubuntu (Linux) on my computer for many years, and find it much preferable to Windows. Have used Windows 8 a couple of times, and my initial impression was truly awful, everything you think you know about Windows has changed.

For basic web browsing and office use, I'd suggest you give Ubuntu a go - you can install it alongside Windows, and choose which one you want to use when you turn computer on. Or, try it on your old desktop before you throw it away.

hope this helps!

Is it easy to get to grips with? Im a win xp user and changed to win 8 when i bought a new lappy. without realising it had 8 on it. It is truly awful.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

hope this helps!

This PC dual boots Kubuntu and xp.

I mostly use XP to be compatible with work but am intending to upgrade PC and attempt to run an image of XP as a virtual machine in Linux..

My reasoning is that XP updates cease after April and if the VM catches a cold I don't lose anything.

In practice unless you use esoteric functions in Excel or lots of macros Libreoffice or open office are fine.

Web functions that use Active X and .net become a problem as do a lot of government departments websites that don't seem to render with anything other than windows explorer.

With a lot of internet functionality moving to mobile and android devices...

I always keep a cd copy of puppy available to boot up machines with problems.

You can download windows 7 legally and for free online. Then ask around for a working serial code, know anyone that works in a large office for example? In fact i have some win7 serials written down somewhere.

Then reinstall your older version of office onto that, none of this will cost a penny.

For the record i use win8.1 pro, bought in the first week of it coming out when microsoft had it on offer for about £7. Its bascially win7 but with a different front end (skin), its faster than win7 in all the bench tests etc

5 mins worth of tweeks and it can be made to look and operate the same as win7 or XP for that matter.

Can it Matt? Is it muuuch better than 7?

I prefer it yes, Think when XP came out... everyone hated it, now its hailed as the best OS MS has ever made.

With regards to signing into a MS account, it just like logging in everytime you switch it on BUT once your in your emails and files are synced and backed up, I can log in elsewhere and get at all my stuff. Saves hassle.

Also boots in seconds.

I have it installed on my gaming rig and it noticeably faster and smoother than when i ran win7.

Glad i took advantage of the £7 offer when i did