Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

I find breakfasts depends on how close you are working to a toilet !

Good luck with the change.

I try and eat good simple non processed food in small portions lots of times a day.

I find it hard to make myself stop and go for something during a job, especially climbing or tidying a garden,

My brain works on the reward when the job its done .

How does it work out Price wise ? I always find eating healthily hits me in the pocket as I need to refuel so frequently.

That's because you're eating healthily as dictated by modern norms. Which are wrong. I was the same as you, eating four or five pots of cous cous or wheat and beans from the shop. It doesn't keep you full- cutting way down on the carbs, and cutting out grain carbs altogether will keep you full.

I spend about £35 a week on all my food. However, I view food as fuel. I thrive on the same things every day.

Typical shopping list for two weeks is 60 eggs, a whole pork belly including ribs, a pack of ground coffee, a pack of green tea, about ten items of green veg from broccoli to cabbage to kale, 2kg grated cheese, a pack of butter and twenty tins of makerel.

Comes to about £70 I guess.

Simples:

Get a plastic takeaway pot. (Buy in bulk from Bookers etc, about 1.5 pence each)

Add a thin slice of butter and microwave till melted.

Crack four eggs, add seasoning (I use black pepper and powdered garlic) and beat.

Microwave till done. (about two and a half minutes) Whilst this is going on, the black coffee can be made and the tin of fish drained.

Take the pot out of the microwave. Don't worry if it looks rubbery (to avoid this simply cook slower and stir frequently) because when you add the fish, a forkful of mustard and mash it up it gains the perfect consistency.

Top with grated cheese, eat, throw away pot and wash fork. I can knock this up in five minutes start to finish. No mess, one implement to cook and eat.

If I'm busy working all day after eating this I won't bother with lunch and genuinely don't get hungry till I get back to the yard at 4/5. There's approximately 1000 calories in it, so it will keep you going much longer than Steve's shake! :lol:

If you want to hang on until you and the lads are at the cafe, no problem. Simply cancel the bread, hash browns and baked beans and replace with extra mushrooms, eggs and bacon. What's not to like? :thumbup1

@OnFoot- Before doing this, I could do black coffee but not black tea. Now I love black tea, and also green tea. No sugar, of course. Your taste buds will change dramatically, trust me. You just need to get through the first couple of months.

right, will give it a go see how I get on, tea and coffee not a prob for me as I've switched to chamomile and fruit tea any way, the cranberry and blood orange ones great.

This sounds facinating! I'm going give this some serious thought

I really enjoy my food and eat out a lot, what you do with a steak? Get two and drop the chips??

What about beer, is that out, being made with grains??

Are you goals weight loss or just a better life and stable blood sugar?

With the steak, I started by 'getting two and not the chips' but soon found that my eyes were still set at the level my stomach was a month or so ago! One steak and some salad is plenty for me now. My pot belly is gone- BUT- I also gave up the beer, which helped immensely. Beer is full of empty calories.

There's no reason not to enjoy a beer in moderation. Some people, particularly if training, do 'carb-ups' where they eat what they like a day a week, or a day a fortnight. Bodybuilding.com forums are a wealth of information on this.

I used to do seven pints a night no problem. Now, there's no way I could face that so I do a whiskey in a pint of water. Bear in mind that alcohol stops any burning of body fat whilst your body processes it, so if weight loss is a primary aim then giving up the alcohol would be one of the best things you could do, along with eating Paleo.

The most important thing that everyone must understand is that your body and tastes change dramatically. I couldn't imagine actually enjoying raw brocolli when I was my slightly chubby, carb laden former self. It's hard at first. But you will never want to go back.

Edited by doobin

Are you goals weight loss or just a better life and stable blood sugar?

With the steak, I started by 'getting two and not the chips' but soon found that my eyes were still set at the level my stomach was a month or so ago! One steak and some salad is plenty for me now. My pot belly is gone- BUT- I also gave up the beer, which helped immensely. Beer is full of empty calories.

There's no reason not to enjoy a beer in moderation. Some people, particularly if training, do 'carb-ups' where they eat what they like a day a week, or a day a fortnight. Bodybuilding.com forums are a wealth of information on this.

I used to do seven pints a night no problem. Now, there's no way I could face that so I do a whiskey in a pint of water. Bear in mind that alcohol stops any burning of body fat whilst your body processes it, so if weight loss is a primary aim then giving up the alcohol would be one of the best things you could do, along with eating Paleo.

The most important thing that everyone must understand is that your body and tastes change dramatically. I couldn't imagine actually enjoying raw brocolli when I was my slightly chubby, carb laden former self. It's hard at first. But you will never want to go back.

No weight loss is not really the aime, I lost about a stone and a half, a couple of years ago, by fasting a couple of days per week.

Its the bloated, lathargic feeling I want to loose, plus I have high blood pressure, and I've read that fluctuation blood sugar can be a contrabuting factor.

You won't want it if you do it properly.

Crikey this diets a cracker if it a cure for alcoholism too:thumbup1:

So my fav weekend brekkie of fried onion, garlic and tomato's topped off with fried eggs then heavily seasoned with chilli flakes and black pepper is ok then ?

Just got to cut out the salt and the toast to mop up all the slodge with.