Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

I thought dairy wasn't allowed in the paleo diet?

There is debate about whether or not it fits. Mature cheddar contains very little lactose (even some 'lactose intolerant' people can eat it) I personally wouldn't give it up, and as it's mainly ft and protein then all is good.

I got into this way of eating by going keto- under 30g of carbs per day to force your body into ketosis and burn fat as a primary fuel.

Paelo allows for more carbs than this- you don't need to be in ketosis to eat Paleo.

The main thing is to drop the sugar and grains.

Whoever has started their diet at the beginning of this thread should be starting to experience keto flue/carb withdrawl symptoms. Good luck! :lol:

Once you've done it a few times you can drop back in without the flue symptoms if you give in to temptation. Eventually, sugar and grain products loose their temptation, and you crave juicy steaks and buttered veg :thumbup1:

I've been doing this since the beginning of the week, with the exception of milk. Im not going to change my tea. Ever.

I feel great, alert, and I don't get hungry as often. Haven't noticed any weight loss, but since I'm 10 stone its not a goal.

The one thing I miss is bread. I can take it or leave it but my sandwiches have the tendency to fall apart without it!

So I found this: Paleo Bread

Giving it a go tonight so will post results.

Its such a convenient thing to hold your sandwich fillings in, I hope it works!

Tea last night was onion sliced thick, fried in olive oil, with garlic, two thinly sliced chicken breasts, steamed brocoli and red/yellow peppers, with cajun spices and more chilli.

Breakfast, onion garlic chilli, spinach 3 eggs and a tin of mackeral all together scrambled. Delish!

Feel really bright and fresh today, even though its -14c outside.

Edited by mistahbenn

:lol: We have only had agriculture for about 10,000 years.

You need to be thinking "hunter gather" not "cave" man :lol:

Milk, spuds and grain are very new on the grand scale of things.

I love bread and spuds, but hate the way they make me feel.

I lost weight hoping to loose the bloated, lethargic feeling I get, but its was not weight it was diet, if I fast I feel great.

I'm hoping cutting carbs will give me the great feeling all the time not just when fasting, time will tell.

It may be that some cope with carb better than others, if your happy as you are great, I would like to feel better than I do, so will give it a go :thumbup1:

Dinosaurs died out about 65 million years ago, man in his present form has been around for about 40,000 years. The dinosaur meat would have to have been in a good freezer to keep for that long :lol: The digestive system of modern man must have evolved to cope with the advances in diet so going back to eating like a caveman would probably cause more dietary problems than it cures, certain parts of the system like the appendix have become redundant and the musculature for chewing gristle and sinew will not be as strong now. Eat what suits you and just get on with it, nuts and raw veg would soon lose it's appeal for me though :thumbdown:

:001_rolleyes:

I presume you guys havent seen the flintstones!

Clearly shows how caveman and dinosaur lived together in the not too distant past.

In fact if we are brininging stuff back from the caveman day I reckon we should start using brontosawarses again. They did a great job in Freds work lifting heavy stuff and that, we could easily use them instead of cranes on a tree job:thumbup1:

They can lift the heavy gear but before that munch on the brash=no chipper and free fuel for the dino. Bonzaa.

Anyway, pushing all the sciencey stuff to one side some of the meals you guys are eating sound tasty:thumbup:

Just tried the mackerel omelette, had to really force it down tbh.

It's a bit odd as i like all the ingredients individually but combined at 6am doesn't work for me, going to skip the fish next time and have it as a snack as I normally do.

I know how you feel. I'm not hungry in the morning, at all, and it's hard work getting such a nutrient dense meal down your neck, but it pays off when you're still going at 12!

Breakfast today was slow cooked pulled pork with homemade BBQ and chilli sauce, in a paleo bread sandwich.

Made the bread last night (had to sub almond flour for gram flour). Tried it this morning: awful. Bone dry and brick like density. I'll be going to a health food shop to get the proper ingredients for the next batch.

I'll see how I get on but I can't see it lasting me 6 hrs, reckon I'll be snacking by 10.

They thought a friend of mine was coeliac for a while and finding a decent bread substitute was something she really struggled with, I fear I may suffer the same if I really try this properly (still not committed)

I'm a believer in common sense eating, eat as naturally and unproccesed as possible, but the more I'm reading up on the Paleo diet I'm arriving at the conclusion that its basically more dietary drivel !

Bear with me- I'm not very good at putting my argument into words.

Firstly, caveman/hunter gathered ate what was naturally available to them. This would have varied greatly depending on location- I reckon the habitants of Mexico would have had a slightly different choice regarding flora and fauna than England! I can't believe that they didn't have some sort of grain/legume growing naturally. Does this mean that the genetic makeup or our bodies varies according to our ancestors nationality, and regardless we all evolved from Africa (according to latest research) so no doubt English flora and fauna would have been introduced to people as they arrived here and therefore we adapted to it. Im pretty sure Durian has never grown naturally in England. Which brings me to my second point...

What's to say that just because a certain food was not available to the hunter gatherers it was bad for them. Humans are evolving and so are our food sources. I can't see how Lentils should be avoided simply because cavemen didn't eat them- I'm pretty sure they would have snapped it up had it been available. High in protein, fibre and vitamins- sounds like a bad idea to me!

So my summary is who cares what our hunter gatherer accestors ate. Its irrelevant as we have evolved our knowledge on both production of suitable foods and what is actually good for us. Of course it wasn't available 4000 years ago, but then nor were modern medicines which we all readily accept now as it saves lives.

Totally understand eating healthy and unprocessed (although again there's a line between bad processed and good food that has simply gone through a process!)

Someone convince me otherwise!...