Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

I would advise against cheat days until people are well adapted to the lifestyle. It is far too easy to go back - even just for a few days - and see a months hard work undone.

I'm a bit late into this thread as it got away before I read it and there seemed to be a couple of people who had some good info so I stayed on the sidelines. I first started lo-carb about 5 years ago, and swapped to Paleo about 2 years ago. The main differences are on lo-carb you have higher protien content, and when you particularly want to cut up, you significantly reduce the dietary fat. Which works really well - but is a quite expensive way to eat if Im honest.

Just an observation on a few of your earlier comments (its taken me a few days to read through the 39 pages of thread!), is that quite a few of the converted are still eating things like sausage, ham (eg from a packet - not the bone), salami or other processed meat. This will work in the short term, whilst you are becoming properly fat adapted, but longer term, you will become more sensitive to the elements that are mixed in with the meats and you will start getting plateaus or reversion of any gains you have made.

The reason is that sausages/ham/processed meat usually contain a series of additives such as: rusk, dextrose, dextrin, glucose, sorghum, xylose etc etc. (see this link for a fuller list of words used on packaging which essentially mean sugar), which as your body becomes more insulin sensitive as it should over a period of time, issues like genetics etc aside, you will find that you will stall from eating smaller and smaller amounts of these foods - so over a more prolonged period, physiologically speaking, you have to eat cleaner.

Over the period I have done this, and made the most improvements, I have also exercised. Weights, because Ive been a bit of a gym rat since a kid and I just enjoy it (grew up watching Arnie and Stallone films), but also with very specific cardio training. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has been undoubtedly the best companion with the lifestyle for those moments when you stop making progress towards a goal (if that is what you are trying to do). Ill explain HIIT. First I train on weights for 20/25 mins (not to do with HIIT - just what I would do anyway in the gym), then Id go to the bike as I cant run anymore due to no cartilage in an ankle following a bad running injury, and cycle like this:

2 mins warm up - half pace

20 secs - flat out

10 secs - half pace

20 secs - flat out

10 secs - half pace

1 minute recovery - half pace

Repeat from 20 secs flat out x 3

Total 10 minutes CV training.

What this does is removes the glycogen from your muscle, and causes a major demand. Your body responds by freeing up stored fat to be shoved in your muscle quick smart to be used as instant energy and to aid repair. Dont be fooled though, it sounds easy enough, but the flat out sprint sections done back to back are really quite tough. When you get better at this you can increase the time under sprint eg remove some of the half pace etc.

If you do HIIT regularly, you will see many benefits ie improved CV fitness, lower BF etc. and for me personally I always feel invigorated after. Now, what I described above was my personal HIIT method - but I watched a program last night, that showed you can do HIIT and get the benefits for only 3 minutes a week! link can be found here

Loads of you have made great progress, so good luck with it all, but if you have any questions about longer term or anything like that just let me know...

Edited by 10 Bears

Feelin brilliant! Fully Keto adapted now. Dropped 10 lbs doing nothing! Stronger, fitter, and sexier :D

Nice one mate! Keep it up, you'll be a slim and sexy as me in a few months! :001_tt2::thumbup1::lol:

I just drove past two overweight women jogging. Poor things. If they put half the effort that put into that (at least they're trying I suppose!) into learning about diet and following it properly, they'd drop the weight easily without ruining their knees.

Jogging is such a waste of time and not good for you :thumbdown::laugh1:

Feelin brilliant! Fully Keto adapted now. Dropped 10 lbs doing nothing! Stronger, fitter, and sexier :D

Ha ha ha Ben , Don't forget your Denim Aftershave lol . I have dropped 9lbs but have fallen off the wagon and had a mega binge munch . Felt really **** afterwards for a whole day :thumbdown: Back on my black coffee and eggs tomoz :thumbup: